• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Loses $520 mil on fuel hedges

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am quite confident United will be around for our lifetime at least. 4 years in BK, goatf**king everyone they owed money to, all the while undercutting competitors prices. Yep, that's the way it works.

When you get to be that big and owe so many massive corporations so much money, you get propped up until the key players get thier money back. Small fries lose though. I have no pity on the investors though! Especially those shorting motherf@@kers.

It's OK, UAL is playing with monopoly money. It won't affect you..............that much........well maybe it'll cost you your job but you'll be fine.

Airlines and the financial markets are two entirely different markets and impacts to the public. I do not believe that the government would attempt to bail out any airline, especially right now. After these last few takeovers by the government, they are looking for a few companies to make an example of. Notice they have not saved Lehman. They will need to convince corporate executives that the govt will not come running to the rescue for their mistakes. The takeovers by the govt this week and last are supposed to be viewed as saving the public and not saving the company. The Fed does not want a repeat of the Saving and Loan defaults decades ago.

First, I want to say that I am not here to bash UA, as I know that ALL airlines are in a Bad Way; with the high (and unstable) fuel costs and the slowing economy.

That said, I look at yahoo and marketwatch finance/airline business news almost everyday to keep up with what's going on in the industry; and came across this article. I will put the link here (hope it works for you guys), but the last part of the article talks about UA's 'pre-announce' of 3rd Qtr results.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...910-33EC-4365-B4EC-F499ECA70109}&siteid=yhoof

Here is the interesting (or surprising) quote from the last part of the article;

"UAL anticipates it will end the quarter with $2.9 billion in unrestricted cash, down from $4.4 billion at the end of the second quarter. "

Now, if I did the math right and made sure to carry the "1" that means they went through about $1.5Bil in cash, in the 3rd Qtr. And again, if I did the math right, that's a cash burn of about $16Mil./day????

The 2nd. and 3rd Qtr. are normally the best for most airlines (the bread and butter); and with one more Qtr. like that, and UA could be close to default on the covenants of their debt?? I believe they have to have about $1.2Bil. to avoid a default, but could be wrong on that issue.

Again, not trying to bash UA or any other airline, just thought it was noteworthy. I will be really interesting in about a month to see what All #s all the airlines put up, probably won't be pretty.

Anyway, for what its worth.

PD

trading 101 would tell you to cover that position with a short as soon as the mkt fell. They are so stupid it is embarassing.

and you my brother, are 100% correct. they should have had a trailing stop order in place and shorted the pi** out of it as it fell on heavy volume

they could have made more money on a short sale than they do selling tickets !!!!

(true statement !)

FYI that trading requires credit worthiness and if they are loosing millions trading futures they can be forced to LIQUIDATE if they cannot cover their losses.

Look at all the "hedge fund blowups" recently, same thing. Except now the fund is called "UAL"

Latest resources

Back