• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PBRstreetgang

Registered Abuser
WTF?
(Source: Reuters)
United Airlines on Sunday named former ATA Airlines Chief Executive John Tague to its newly created position of executive vice president - customer, and said he will take over the post on May 12.

Tague, who had been president and chief executive of ATA Holdings Corp. the 10th largest U.S. passenger airline -- at United will be responsible for worldwide alliances, marketing, United loyalty services, advertising, sales, reservations and cargo, the airline, a unit of bankrupt UAL Corp., said in a news release.

Prior to joining ATA, Tague was responsible for planning and marketing at regional carrier Midway Airlines.

"As United focuses on revenue enhancement and the customer experience, John's breadth of knowledge will serve us well, not only in his role as EVP-Customer, but as a member of our core executive team," said UAL Chairman and Chief Executive Glenn Tilton.

The announcement comes two days after UAL reported the biggest quarterly loss of any major U.S. air carrier, a $1.3 billion net loss for the first quarter.

The arrogance of corperate managment continues! Truly the good ol boy network looks after its self, bet they find a job for Carty next!
Ola
Good luck
PBR

My guess is that Tilton recognized that Tague could provide a wealth of information on ATA's plans and practices. I'm sure Tague jumped at the chance to "stick a knife" into the company that fired him. This article in the Indy Star tends to support this view.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/0/040742-7370-010.html

Too bad Tague doesn't have to start out at probationary pay at the bottom of the seniority list like pilots have to when they change jobs.

In my limited perspective from C8-land, UA is competing aggressively with TZ fares and is well past the point of dumping more cheap seats than necessary is the predominantly small markets we serve. LEX just lost a flight as the latest casualty in this mini-war; Of course, the real battle land is CHI.

Tague grew ATA's costs when we needed a cost-slasher to ensure our company's viability. Good luck to UA in managing his propensity to spend. Frankly, I was glad to see him leave TZ and have George return to a more prominent day-to-day role.

UA bought Tague's proprietary knowledge to keep a member of the good 'ole boys' club employed. This is as simple as that.

joe

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back