Turbo-prop Vs. Turbo-Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
As a student pilot, your time and effort studying the aircraft you'll be flying might be more profitable. Regardless, if you begin to study aircraft and have a question about something that isn't fully explained or covered in your books, that's one thing. If you begin asking basic questions that you could research and find the answer to yourself...that's another.

Do some work, put in some effort, and then ask the question.

I don't see anything wrong with his question. We could all find most of the info on this sight by "studying" other material. We're pilots, we're lazy, we use web sights like this to get info from others. I think it should be encouraged.

I disagree. All too often I read questions that could easily be answered by a simple search of the site. Questions that have been answered countless times before. This is one such case, but that's not my point.

One who identifies himself as a student pilot, like others we've seen here as regulars, might be better served sticking to questions that apply to his level of study and expertise. So often posters take no thought to lift a finger to help themselves, instead posting a question in the hopes that others will take care of it for them.

They say there's no such thing as a stupid question. They're wrong.

This question wasn't stupid, but certainly premature.

What's the difference between a jet and a helicopter? Are pistons different from turbines? Is a wing the same as a propeller?

A simple search of the internet would yield the question...any level of effort, a look in any book or text on the subject...anything at all would answer the question...one should not post a question until one has undertaken the effort to find the answer for one's self.

I find laziness intolerable. Apparently you do not.

avbug said:
I disagree. All too often I read questions that could easily be answered by a simple search of the site. Questions that have been answered countless times before. This is one such case, but that's not my point.

One who identifies himself as a student pilot, like others we've seen here as regulars, might be better served sticking to questions that apply to his level of study and expertise. So often posters take no thought to lift a finger to help themselves, instead posting a question in the hopes that others will take care of it for them.

They say there's no such thing as a stupid question. They're wrong.

This question wasn't stupid, but certainly premature.

What's the difference between a jet and a helicopter? Are pistons different from turbines? Is a wing the same as a propeller?

A simple search of the internet would yield the question...any level of effort, a look in any book or text on the subject...anything at all would answer the question...one should not post a question until one has undertaken the effort to find the answer for one's self.

I find laziness intolerable. Apparently you do not.

who cares what level he's at? i remember when i learned to fly i had a million questions about things that might not exactly be relevant to what i was studying. it is all about being enthusiastic about what you're doing and getting excited. asking a question here is not like raising your hand in science class and asking something irrelevant to the lecture. this is not just a web sight for professionals, either. it's ok to encourage newbies as well.

if you find laziness intolerable, you're in the wrong business!

Thanks for the information

For those of you who answered my initial question, thank you. For those who found some reason to fault me for asking the question, I also appreciate your input. I am a student pilot who is also interested in the "high tech" aircraft systems. I find aviation, from the small planes through the large, more complex aircraft fascinating. I joined this web site to learn new and interesting things.

Due yourself a favor, buy "The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual". This manual provides a complete, easy to understand explanation of turbine aircraft systems. It is intended for piston pilots graduating to more sophisticated aircraft and pilots wanting to review or learn the basics of turbine engine flight. There are large clear graphics or pictures illustrating every concept discussed.

The book offers complete descriptions of turbine aircraft engines and systems, additional chapters on related topics (high-speed aerodynamics, high-altitude weather, etc.) and much more. I believe this book is required reading by every pilot at many regional airline training programs.

Latest resources

Back