Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SkyWestCRJPilot

Now a CAL FO
I have a friend from Russia now flying for a U.S. regional airline. He started in the Russian Air Force and after obtaining his Russian ATP equivalent and a TU-154 type rating came over to the states about 4 years ago. The FSDO didn't recognize much of his flight time over there and they just gave him a Private IFR-muliti license. He got all of his FAA ratings and now works for a regional as I said. The FSDO also never recognized his TU-154 type rating. I think this was an error and I've encouraged him to persue it to get this type rating added to his FAA license. Can this be done or does the aircraft have to have a FAA type certificate to be recognized on an FAA airman's certificate? What can he do to show he has a type rating in that aircraft. Photo

A friend of mine had a bunch of Type Ratings from countries like Taiwan. They were on 747-400's and L-1011's. But the FAA wont recognize them on his FAA ATPL. But other ICAO standard countries will.

I doubt that the FAA will show a TU-154 type on his cert. mostly because there is no FAA Type Certifiate for it. Much like how military pilots have 707/720 types if they flew the KC-135. Pilots that flew C-141's dont have 141 types because there is no FAA equivalant.

Last edited:
T-Gates said:
Pilots that flew C-141's dont have 141 types because there is no FAA equivalant.

I don't believe that this is true, If I recall correctly, there is a type rating and a lockheed model number that goes on your certificate. I have friend who flew 141's and I'm pretty sure he has a type rating for it on his FAA certificate. I'm getting together with him tomorrow so I'll ask him about it.

Last edited:
Just a follow-up on the c-141 type rating thingy. I asked my buddy and he confirmed that my memory is correct, there is indeed a type rating for the 141. The civilian designation is L-300, although none were ever made for civil use.

skywestcrjpilot; sorry, none of this answers your original question.

A Squared said:
Just a follow-up on the c-141 type rating thingy. I asked my buddy and he confirmed that my memory is correct, there is indeed a type rating for the 141. The civilian designation is L-300, although none were ever made for civil use.

skywestcrjpilot; sorry, none of this answers your original question.

Ahhh cool, good to know, I've never met anyone with a L-300 type.

Thanks....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back