• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Transport Union

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As for our leadership, we have no say in who it is. They are appointed by the union president.

TWU-ATP appointed your leadership..???
or
Your locally elected President appointed all the other local union positions..???

Something in that deal ain't square, in my experience the local members elect the local president and all local officers. The local president can appoint special committees, ie: the negotiating committee members. The TWU-ATP would assign a representative of the International (the parent union) to advise the local leadership.

Or you can do what we did and form an independent union, not affiliated with the AFL-CIO.

[
quote=RVSM;1351029]TWU-ATP appointed your leadership..???
or
Your locally elected President appointed all the other local union positions..???

Something in that deal ain't square, in my experience the local members elect the local president and all local officers. The local president can appoint special committees, ie: the negotiating committee members. The TWU-ATP would assign a representative of the International (the parent union) to advise the local leadership.

Or you can do what we did and form an independent union, not affiliated with the AFL-CIO.[/quote]

isn't that what caused the NW mechanics to not have any support from other unions?

Just noticed on Avweb that you guys at 9e are hiring more dispatchers... are folks jumping out of there again... I would hate to be in the situation you guys seem to be in.. It would make me strongly consider decerting the union.. geez

[

isn't that what caused the NW mechanics to not have any support from other unions?

Being an independent union is not what prevented the other unions from supporting the NW MX strike, bad blood between AMFA and IAM was the real deal killer.

NW MX was represented by AMFA. AMFA is classified by the AFL-CIO as a "raider" union and forbids AFL-CIO unions from working with them in any official way. AMFA courted the NW MX away from IAM (an AFL-CIO union).
This was a big part of the reason IAM, which also rep'ed the NW ground folks, didn't honor the AMFA picket lines. I think the pilots were ALPA,which I think is also AFL_CIO. (not sure on the status, etc of the pilots)

If you look at how NW is now individually taking the unions apart with cutbacks and layoffs they would have been better off to put aside their issues with AMFA for the betterment of all NWA union employees, since they couldn't do that they are now all paying the price.

This is only my opinion as an outside observer, I am sure there is much more to it, but this is my perception based on what I have seen/read.

Just noticed on Avweb that you guys at 9e are hiring more dispatchers... are folks jumping out of there again... I would hate to be in the situation you guys seem to be in.. It would make me strongly consider decerting the union.. geez

It's continuous hiring here - a revolving door.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back