Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

808pilot

user being used
i know this is crazy talk... and i accept full responsibility but... does anyone know anyone or have info on making a move to the FAA? just curious at this point... not applying tomorrow or anything... just doing some research on whether its a good fit or not.... be gentle...

Got a buddy who got hired by them while on furlough. If you like 9-5, office bureaucracy, and TONS of paperwork...this might be the job for you. He will be in recall ground school in about a month. A year was all he could tolerate...but I think he actually did kinda like a lot of it.

A friend of mine did the swap also. He was a computer genius. He went there and did something with their flight department, I don't believe flightcheck, or ILS checking, but something flying around. I haven't heard from him since, so maybe it's ok.

According to a friend of mine in the Certificate Management office at UAL/CO, these jobs are a lot harder to get these days. He got in right after 9-11 as a safety inspector and moved into the certificate mgt end after a few years. He makes about 130k and has the typical GS perks. Get2flyn said it. You have to love doing paperwork but it is a stable 9 to 5 job. He tried to talk me into it a few years ago but I loathe doing TPS reports. Nothing wrong with doing it if you're ready to trade the glamorous life of a line pilot for the office.

Buddy of mine just started at $115,000. Bailed on the sinking ship they call Comair. Good move if you ask me. He's living where he wants, gets paid well, and his wife is happy too.

I made the move in 2006. Spent 4 years at HQ as GA Ops Inspector. Great money, lots of interesting work, great connections. Friends who are field inspectors have it good too. They do investigations, checkrides, POI work (they get typed on different equip) etc.

There are lots of opportunities to move around in the FAA and pretty much live where you want. They also offer flex schedules (work 9 hr days and take every other Friday off). It's a great move especially if you are interested in safety work.

thanks guys... good stuff... my local fsdo is short on guys i guess and i might have an in... i think it would be as an inspector... i'm not a big paperwork guy but the idea of having something steady and being home is intriguing...
currently flying part 135 jet outfit which is great but i only get paid when i fly... feast or famine.... THE airline here is very competitive... i'll keep doing my homework... thanks again for the responses...

The paperwork isn't that bad. Don't let people who haven't had the job tell you what it's like. Like any job there is paperwork, but if you're organized and can write well, you'll have no issue.

Pm me.

Latest resources

Back