Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scubabri

Junior Mint
Tuesday I sent out resumes to everyone (almost) on the raa.org site.

I know that resume spams don't work, but it's a start. Having said that. I would like to get myself either a Baron job or a 208 job. I figure those are the best of the time builder airplanes.

I've got resumes in at Airnet as well as Ameriflight. My question, if you had 10-20 companies that you would be aggressive, meaning calling monthly, updating resumes, networking to make contacts within the companies, which would they be? Obviously 200 companies are going to be very hard to maintain.

I'm currently a CFI with 1300tt and about 130me time and I will continue my CFI job and continue to search.

Thanks for any help.

b

Where do you want to work? Do you meet 135 mins?

supsup

Most of us don't qualify to work for a "top company." The thread title made me chuckle, as a friend of mine, the UPS captain, is the only guy I know who works for a "top company" in cargo. There are darned few of those. :)

Have you checked in to Castle Aviation out of CAK in Akron. Not sure if they are hiring but it's with a shot. I think you start out in the Caravan.

ALL FedEX feeder(see CaravanPilots.com), AirNow, CapeAir/Nantucket Airlines, FlightExpress,Superior Aviation; Air Cargo Carriers; the 2 companies you applied to;MartinAire; MidAtlantic Freight; AirPac(Seattle); Grant Aviation(Alaska); BankAir(SC?); Murray Aviation(MI); Four Star Air Cargo(P.R.)....Be advised that even for these operators you have competition. Confirm, you do have a college degree? Lot of furloughed commuter and major airline pilots looking for work. Your experience is both your asset and liability; Some operators will hire you because of your low time lack of airline affiliation hoping that you'll stay at least a year or so and some will not because they want 500-1000hours of either...night, turbine, 135 experience, 121 experience, ATP, type rating in their equipment, Alaska flight time, instrument time, island flight time...the list goes on. If you are PERSISTENT(by phoning, emailing, walking in, networking and in some cases bribing)and not economics, reason, friends or that secret weapon(FAMILY or SIGNIFICANT OTHERS)deter your search(ie QUEST)you will get something, also every job I ever got was from a fellow pilot and or flight instructor by reference or shout-out. DON'T BURN BRIDGES even with pilots of lesser experience they may be your future captain or boss.

I've got resumes in at all those places. Except some how I missed Murry, so I'll get one sent out.

I guess it's time to start running up the phone bill ;)

b

Who gets the nod from the top picks?

well the competition is steep at these "top companies" however i have it on good authority the type of person they look for is definitely not the super airline type. any of the fed-ex feeders (wiggins, Baron, empire, mountain, westair, etc.) are a good start. then theres the UPS feeders as well (anyone else i havent mentioned but i gotta give props to da AirNow) but even they dont want anyone whose going to be suprised their first time out in cargo what the schedules and conditions are like. Baron called me up to ask if i was interested (on account of the short furlough i turned them down) and they wanted someone with previous FREIGHT experience. someone who knew what schedules and conditions were like. someone who wasnt going to show up new and suddenly complain cause it isnt at all what they expected.

the furloughed airline types going into cargo are the ones going there that used to work cargo. they know. the ones that havent doine it before are the ones that turn themselves away from it when they find out what the job really is.

"load and unload it all (a few thousand pouinds) yourself in rain or shine heat or cold. fly it yourself through the worst crap you can imagine. any problems with that?" -thats the question they want answered. and if you answer no. then you cant say anything about it for your whole time there working. thats the types that get the cargo jobs. also the fortunate who have buddies working there already.

The FedEx feeders require 2500tt just for a caravan job. That is mandated by FedEX. However, Superior and the others that operate UPS feeding don't require so much.

or a 208 job. I figure those are the best of the time builder airplanes.
Build time in a 208? You'll need 2,500 hours to come around by us and talk smart. You'll also need prior 135 and some multi.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back