• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Time in Type?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been looking at a lot of different jobs in the Southern California area from a whole range of 135 operators, but they almost all want time in type. Even for a SIC position they want 50 hours in type. I've been at the regionals for 6.5 years as an FO (no PIC turbine), which I know is already a blow that I have to overcome, but how does one get past the time in type problem?

I know the, just apply anyway, but I never seem to even get a response?

Any ideas/suggestions?

You fly for AE? You have 6 1/2 years and you want to leave?? Just a simple question but your pretty close to upgrade arent you?

Upgrade?

Well close is a relative term. And close depends on which rumor you believe. If you can tell me in days or months what close is I would really appreciate it. I've been close (within 5 numbers) twice before so far, but now it seems a lot further away. I'm not saying it couldn't happen soon, but that just makes me think soon is a relative term soon.

Difference in pay

How does 6.5 years F/O at the regional level, including pass previes, benefits et al compare to starting over again compeating for an entry level 135 job that's going to pay $24K without benefits? Just a thought.

I have seen starting salaries far higher then that. Plus 6.5 years only buys you about 38K and you have to pay $300 per month for the beneies.

But then ask any civilian on the street what they think pilots make todqy and they are SHOCKED by the low wages.

AVIATION: The big lie.

FokkerIdid said:
But then ask any civilian on the street what they think pilots make todqy and they are SHOCKED by the low wages.

AVIATION: The big lie.
Huh?:confused:

Do you have any friends that work for good corp operators? Not many complaints about salary and QOL. Wait, I take that back... I had lunch this week with a friend who's disappointed with how much tax he had to pay on his $17K bonus.

As for time in type, just about every SoCal PT135 operator I can think of hires SIC's with zero time in type. Where, exactly, have you been looking?

A few of the operators I've looked at are the air group, elite aviation, TWC, and a few others. All of these have openings right now, but require SICs to have time in type.

Some_Other_Dude said:
A few of the operators I've looked at are the air group, elite aviation, TWC, and a few others. All of these have openings right now, but require SICs to have time in type.
Air Group seems to always want more like 12,000hrs in type.:rolleyes: Can't help you there.

Elite used to hire with no time in type and I can't imagine why they wouldn't now.

TWC will definately hire without time in type. I've worked there in the past and still know many of the pilots. Last year they were taking new hire SIC's and typing them immediately.

Have you just been calling and/or dropping by and leaving a resume with the receptionist? That rarely works. Have you tried setting up an actual appointment where the CP or DO can sit down and get to know you a little? You've been at AE for a long time, you must know someone who's made the jump to charter or corporate. That's a good way to get your foot in the door.

Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back