time for annual and 100-hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

trestles

how much time does the average annual inspection take for a multi-engine piston? What about a 100-hour? Just trying to get some averages for basic ownership costs.

That really depends a great deal on the aircraft, the owner, and the mechanic or shop. A shiftless mechanic without scruples can do an annual in an hour and never touch the airplane. You don't want that. A decent mechanic working on a decent airplane that's been well maintained can take three days. The nature of the airplane and it's equipment and configuration, as well as any applicable AD's or things that need doing may prolong that and will certainly increase the cost.

Bear in mind that working on the airplane, fixing what's broken, etc, isnt part of the annual inspection. The inspection itself may be prolonged if things need attention on the way in to inspect, which is separate from the work done needed to fix what's found.

Many owners are unpleasantly surprised when their first inspection comes due, because a lot of things get found which they do not expect. Some get upset because the aircraft just received a prebuy inspection, and these things weren't found. Undone or unlogged AD's, service bulletins, or improper or unsigned maintenance can become real headaches, as can STC's or major repairs or alterations that are undocumented. The engine mount with a little pitting that you wouldn't give a second thought as a pilot may be found to require refurbishing by the mechanic, and there's nine hundred for the mount plus another thousand to remove and install the engine, and do whatever else is found in there...it adds up. Paperwork issues are minefields for a new owner that can quickly rack up the costs. Be prepared.

How long does it take? Until it's done.

A friend of mine had an small Aztec most his annuals took the IA about 3 to 4 day's then an average of 30 days to fix the discrepancy's.

Call up the A&Ps formerly with Airman Flight School, home of the 25 minute 100-hour.

...literally I saw them taxi a 152 into the hangar for 100hour and taxi it back to the parking spot not 30 minutes later all squawks "complied" with (aka "CND").

-mini

Call up the A&Ps formerly with Airman Flight School, home of the 25 minute 100-hour.

...literally I saw them taxi a 152 into the hangar for 100hour and taxi it back to the parking spot not 30 minutes later all squawks "complied" with (aka "CND").

-mini

...and they probably get away with it, especially if they are ones that are maintaining the aircraft.

I haven't touched a prop job since A&P school, but it would take me longer to get a ladder and access the engines on a Challenger that it would take to knock out a 150hr.

how much time does the average annual inspection take for a multi-engine piston? What about a 100-hour? Just trying to get some averages for basic ownership costs.

I would budget at least a week of down time for a good through annual on a well maintained twin, two would probably be better. A good IA will spend a full day just doing the physical inspection.

DO NOT go for the shop that can get it done the quickest and cheapest.

Annuals are your chance to find small problems before they become big expensive monsters. Money spent here will save you a fortune down the road.

For those considering the difference between the 100 hour inspection and the annual...there isn't any. The only differences lie not in the inspection, but in who signs it off; an IA may perform and sign off a annual, while an A&P not holding an IA can do the 100 hour...but both must be performed to the same scope and standard.

A lot of shops will quote x dollars for an annual, that is just for the inspection itself which will take a day or two. The discrepancies may take a week or two depending on what shape, parts needed etc. It is really hard to figure a cost since shop rates vary widely also. Talk to other owners in your area to get ballpark figures and help in finding a good shop or wrench.

You should be able to check with a shop to see what the expected number of hours are for the inspection. My Duchess is right around 28 hours as I recall. And as some said, that is for the inspection, not the repairs. I know that the time can vary greatly based on the type of aircraft. For example, I expect that a Cessna 421 would be more than twice my hours for the inspection.

The first annual was not much fun. I was down 5 weeks and lots of repairs. Many of those were because I have a very finicky AP/IA and because I didn't defer anything, even when given the choice. I suspect the next one will be much shorter (for down time) and less expensive. I did save some of the inspection time by removing and replacing everything that I could.

CalifDan

Latest resources

Back