Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rptrain

Probationary Member
I had the opportunity to read some of the info that your management is providing you in regards to your contract negotiations. It's important to be as well informed as possible, so I would like to offer some clarifications, especially w/ regard to the "Regional Airline Comparison" that your CEO has offered up.

For starters, they attempt to compare ACA DoJet CA/FO rates with your 37-49 seat RJ rates. This is not a fair comparison, since the Dornier is only a 32-seat airplane. I would suggest that only comparisons to other EMB-135/140 operators are valid.

There are several misrepresentations on the "Contract Productivity Provisions" comparison.

ACA does NOT have junior manning. Awarded days off are ALWAYS days off, and reserve assignments are done with an ordered bucket system.

The top 401(k) match is slightly better than 50% of 6%. In fact, it's twice that (100% of 6%). That takes effect after 9 years of service. The vesting schedule is also contractually protected. Company funds are 100% yours after 5 years.

Scheduled layovers may be as low as 8-hours, but there is language that limits duty to 10 hours following reduced rest (12 hours if the last leg is a deadhead).

Since they chose to compare with the TA, they should mention that a profit sharing program will be established if the TA takes effect. It remains to be seen, but it could contribute significantly to the 401(k).

Some of the words coming from Bryan Bedford are quite disturbing, but he makes some embarassing points to ponder.

It's a simple fact that we had to sell our service at a lower cost than our peer group in order to interest anyone in to doing business with us
Does anyone really believe Delta would do business with us rather than their own subsidiaries - ASA and Comair - if our costs were just as high as theirs? Does any one here not think the Comair pilots are licking their chops to get back into the Florida operation? Does anyone here believe the Comair pilots won't think twice about taking those routes back if given the opportunity? Did any of you think twice about taking the routes from Comair in the first place?

While part of this is an attempt by management to influence your decisions, it begs us to take a sobering look at what's going on in the industry. I support your efforts to secure a fair contract. CHQ pilots are professionals and deserve better. However, in many cases we (pilots as a whole) have made our own beds and can't completely blame managements for the situations we find ourselves in. I've felt the bitterness as CHQ grows thanks in part to the lowball costs in your current contract. We can't sell our souls for growth and then turn around and expect the universe when the contract is amendable.

With all that's playing out before our eyes these days (UAL/AMR/U concessions, Mesa/Freedom, UAX concessions, Eagle vs APA, RJDC vs Delta), we need to be learning huge lessions for the future. Idealogically charging at windmills isn't the answer, but neither is disregarding the consequences of your actions on other pilot groups. We need to do what's right, and the best way to make those decisions is to stay informed and unified.

RPTrain:

When Bedford and others point to our labor costs as the sole reason for the DL (or AA) flying, it makes me want to puke. The main reason CHQ is flying out of MCO is that our airplane is several million dollars cheaper per copy than a CRJ, and cheaper to operate as well. Comair hasn't had a 30-seat airframe since the EMB-120 went away; as everyone knows the reduced-seat versions of the CL-65 are the exact same airframe. If Bedford brought every last one of us up to Comair rates tomorrow, we could still offer a cheaper product due to the acquisition and operating cost of our airplane.

A*MEN*.

How much more DAL flying are you guys expecting to get? Doesn't look like there are many PFD opportunities for DAL out there. Am I reading this right, because it seems that three of the companies that chit fly for could dump them almost overnight. USAIR, DAL, AMR. While I don't see AMR doing away w/ contract, it could happen years from now due to scope restraints being lifted at eagle. DAL's flexibility could dump chit and w/in months and still be reinstated in every market. USair, well enough said there. Doesn't seem very stable to me, am I wrong? If you are not going to have stability might as well get a good contract, otherwise there is no incentive to work there.

1) aewanabe is right on, but most will never believe it. Pilots wages have never been the reason for obtaining our contracts. It is about aircraft costs as well as or managements ability to finace new airplanes quickly. Not to mention the fact that we do have decent service.

2) The reason for multiple partners is stability.

3) Please do think I am patting management on the back I am just stating the facts. I have already sent in my YES vote.

rptrain wrote:

Some of the words coming from Bryan Bedford are quite disturbing, but he makes some embarassing points to ponder.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone really believe Delta would do business with us rather than their own subsidiaries - ASA and Comair - if our costs were just as high as theirs? Does any one here not think the Comair pilots are licking their chops to get back into the Florida operation? Does anyone here believe the Comair pilots won't think twice about taking those routes back if given the opportunity? Did any of you think twice about taking the routes from Comair in the first place?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flame bait, Mr. Bedford!

The statement regarding economics has some validity, to a point. However, the issue that Bedford conveniently didn't address is that DCI has been growing at an unprecedented rate lately. Comair and ASA could not possibly handle this growth on their own, so doing business with companies other than their own wholly-owned subsidiaries is required to grow DCI at the desired rate regardless of our operating costs.

As for the Florida flying, CHQ pilots didn't take those routes away from Comair pilots. DAL management decides who flies where and DAL management transferred those routes to CHQ. Those routes weren't ours to lose and they are not for us to take back. Comair's Orlando base closed when the last Brasilia went away, several months before CHQ came on the scene. MCO didn't close as a result of CHQ becoming a DCI carrier.

Mr. Bedford needs to pull his head out of his outflow valve! Don't buy into his propaganda!

C425Driver

Originally posted by rptrain:

>>Scheduled layovers may be as low as 8-hours, but there is language that limits duty to 10 hours following reduced rest (12 hours if the last leg is a deadhead).

Everyone misinterprets this; You may only be SCHEDULED for 10 hours following a SCHEDULED reduced rest period. In other words, if you're running late today, and that causes you to take 8 hours reduced rest tonight, you still have to fly your 13 hour duty-day as scheduled tomorrow because you weren't SCHEDULED for reduced rest tonight.

LGA

Appreciate the responses from the CHQ people.

Don't misunderstand; I'm telling you NOT to believe the hype when it comes to what Mr. Bedford has to say about other airlines. As pointed out, he makes a lot of misrepresentations.

I did say that your low costs are thanks "in part" (not entirely) to your low pay. It's simply unreasonable to dispute this. Especially consider FO pay. It doesn't even get tolerable until year 3. With all the growth that CHQ has had in recent years, how many FOs even make it to 3rd year pay? I would suspect very, very few.

-2nd year CHQ pay: ~$23
-2nd year competitor pay (SKYW/CMR/ACA): ~$35

CHQ is a whopping 34% less. Consider that the concessionary deals are cutting pay in the neighborhood of 4-8% and you realize what a huge number that is. With FOs making up roughly half of the pilots (and I believe the vast majority w/ less than 3rd yr pay), it stands to reason that there is a significant savings on pilot costs.

My point is that this madness has to stop, and you guys are trying hard to make it better. I'm just trying to illustrate how unsustainable the model is. I wish you the best of luck w/ your contract. It's foolish to deny that there's no relationship between costs and management's desire towards growing the airline (especially without scope!). You're obviously fighting more than a pay battle (read: Republic).

LGAPilot:
Notice I wrote "Scheduled layovers." The document from CHQ management was overly simplistic in stating the rules for scheduled overnights were simply the FARs. I have seen CHQ pairings with scheduled reduced rest overnights. When's the last time you saw one of those in a bid package at ACA? That language does have some effect.

I can't remember the last time I saw one at chautauqua.....they do exist here but it is pretty rare.

Food for thought...Raise our pay to the highest in the regional industry and let me know what our CASM is. I bet the answer wont supprise me.

Latest resources

Back