• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

altimaklr

Mesaba Holdings Agrees to Acquire Big Sky
Big Sky Will Become a New Subsidiary
Thursday September 26, 8:16 pm ET

MINNEAPOLIS & ST. PAUL, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 26, 2002--Mesaba Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq:MAIR - News) and Big Sky Transportation Co. today jointly announced an agreement under which Mesaba Holdings will acquire Big Sky, a Billings, Montana-based regional air carrier, for $2.60 per share, totaling approximately $3.5 million.
ADVERTISEMENT

Mesaba Holdings will offer to purchase all outstanding Big Sky common stock in cash, pursuant to a tender offer expected to commence in approximately three weeks, assuming the satisfaction of certain conditions.

Mesaba Holdings plans to operate Big Sky as a wholly owned subsidiary. Big Sky will be separate from Mesaba Holdings' existing subsidiary, Mesaba Aviation, Inc. Mesaba Holdings expects the transaction to be neutral to earnings in FY2003 and slightly accretive in FY2004.

"Mesaba Holdings' goal is to profitably expand our business activities both within the framework of our existing operations at Mesaba Airlines and in new areas of opportunity," said Paul Foley, Mesaba Holdings president and chief executive officer. "Big Sky is a good example of the type of opportunity we are seeking. It is an efficiently run company with an excellent safety record and a cost structure that positions it well in the highly competitive regional airline marketplace."

"This transaction is good for our shareholders, our employees and the communities we serve," said Jon Marchi, chairman of Big Sky's board of directors. "We are delighted to be joining Mesaba Holdings."

"Mesaba Holdings' leadership, financial strength and knowledge of the industry will provide opportunities for our employees, by helping us continue to grow in these challenging times," said Kim Champney, Big Sky president and CEO.

Mesaba Holdings will commence the tender offer after Big Sky has satisfied certain labor conditions. Completion of the acquisition will require the tender of at least two-thirds of all outstanding Big Sky shares, on a fully diluted basis, assuming the exercise of all outstanding stock options.

Mesaba Holdings' primary business is the regional airline subsidiary Mesaba Aviation, Inc., d/b/a Mesaba Airlines. Mesaba Airlines operates as a Northwest Jet Airlink and Airlink partner under service agreements with Northwest Airlines. Currently, the airline serves 106 cities in 24 states and Canada from Northwest's and Mesaba's three major hubs, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and Memphis. Mesaba operates an advanced fleet of regional jet and jet-prop aircraft, consisting of the 69 passenger Avro RJ85 and the 30-34 passenger Saab SF340.

More information about Mesaba Airlines is available on the Internet at www.mesaba.com.

Yeah, just a guess. I have no claim to knowledge on this, but sure does seem good for Foley.

I can buy a company, but I can't afford that durn pilot contract!

Hang in there XJ, we're pullen for you.

S.

I'm curious as to how Foley plans to merge the pilot groups. Upgrades at XJ have stopped, they're furloughing again, and mediated talks are about to start. I realize that Big Sky pilots are entitled to fairness too, but this could be very hurtful to a lot of Mesaba pilots. Being slapped in the face is one thing, but to be blind-sided with a crow-bar is a whole different event. This could get interesting.

Do the pilot groups have to be joined? I'll bet BigSky gets those shiney new RJ's much like Freedom Air will. THAT IS WHERE THE LIKENESS ENDS. I don't want to see some jerk off start calling BigSky the next scab airline that Freedom is. If you can't tell the difference, go research this board. I think it's a clever managment tool used to control the pilot groups.

S.

talking about weird, what about AirTran and Air wisconson????
WOW!

I can see it now.....there is going to be BS all over the sides of our nice new airplanes.

I wouldn't worry about RJ's becoming the next mount for Big Sky's drivers. The airplane isn't really appropriate for much of the market served by Big Sky...which does a lot of EAS work right now.

This isn't anything new; it's the same evoloution that takes place on a regular cycle, as small operators get picked up by bigger operators.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back