• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The WEALTHY can't handle airline travel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well if my experience from yesterday is any indication, it's not going to last long. First off, I fly for a large regional airline. Yesterday I get a call right after we push off the gate from the FA who says a passenger in row 17 was complaining that there was a loud noise he was unfamiliar with and to "tell the pilot to do something". So I laugh and turn off the hydraulic pumps (while sitting with the PB set) and ask the FA to go see if they passenger still hears the loud noise, which of course, he didn't and he apparently told the FA "you can tell the pilot to proceed now"

So we blast off to our destination and again the FA calls up saying that the same passenger wants to write a complaint letter because he is shocked that our airline would put such a little jet (EMB145) on this route. She gives him a complaint card.

After we land the FA tells us that this guy has been nothing but one complaint after another. She finally asked why he was so unhappy (since we left on time, had a nice flight, arrived early, and tried to kiss his arse) and this was his response:

"My company just placed restrictions on our corporate jet which I've been using for years. Now I have to fly on these little RJs (which ironically is way bigger than the Hawker he's used to), security made me take my laptop out of my suitcase, and how can you put people on an hour and 20 min flight without food...."

I feel really bad for you corporate drivers that have to deal with these elitist-types, but I don't think they're going to fly the airlines for very long if this guy is your typical corporate passenger.

Good luck to all of us!

T2S

Is it possible that you are looking at this the wrong way? He's rich, you aren't. He demands perfection, you just want to do your job and go home? Try learning from people rather than hating them.

I've seen the same traits in everyone that is rich. They don't settle. They aren't shy. They don't waste. They appreciate anyone that furthers those goals.

Is it possible that you are looking at this the wrong way? He's rich, you aren't. He demands perfection, you just want to do your job and go home? Try learning from people rather than hating them.

I've seen the same traits in everyone that is rich. They don't settle. They aren't shy. They don't waste. They appreciate anyone that furthers those goals.

The guy Time2Spare described isn't the guy paying the debt service on that Hawker, he's just some schlep who works for the guy that is and thinks he's Sierra Hotel...or as Goose Egg described, a guy who thinks he's rich.

Regardless...wealthy or not, just because you're used to riding on a midsize private jet to do your business doesn't allow you to be a dick to everyone else when you can't.

Wow. Either some of you are a little sensitive, or totally misinterpreted my post. I'm not jealous or hating this guy. I was just sharing a story that correlated to the original post of the rich not liking airline travel. I don't hate anyone and while I may not have as much money as him, I do consider myself rich: I have a job I like, a lovely wife and son, we are all healthy, I like my lot in life. Loosen up a little bit, Francis.

Wow. Either some of you are a little sensitive, or totally misinterpreted my post. I'm not jealous or hating this guy. I was just sharing a story that correlated to the original post of the rich not liking airline travel. I don't hate anyone and while I may not have as much money as him, I do consider myself rich: I have a job I like, a lovely wife and son, we are all healthy, I like my lot in life. Loosen up a little bit, Francis.

Nice spin. You should go into politics. If you don't hate them, why did you call him elitist, and say you feel sorry for corporate pilots?

In my albiet limited experience in this area, it's not the people that are actually rich that you need to worry about; it's the people that think that they are rich. There's a pretty big difference.

-Goose

Very, very true!!!!

I fly for a company who has a lot of trade secrets. They are not allowed to open their laptops in an airport due to these secrets which include military items. When they fly on our jets they have a secure office to do business. The aircraft may be smaller, but they are much more comfortable and roomy than an airliner. They know us and trust us, and we treat them well, as they do us. There time is very valuable. We can take them to three or four destinations in a day and get them back home. The same trip on an airliner would take three or even four days sometimes. With that said, they still fly the airlines much of the time. We only have three aircraft so they are not always available. As for them being rich- the Chairman of the Board and maybe the CEO and CFO are, but I would venture to say that I make more than most of my passengers do and if I don't then I am sure that they earned. Just my two cents.

Cliff

I fly for a company who has a lot of trade secrets. They are not allowed to open their laptops in an airport due to these secrets which include military items. When they fly on our jets they have a secure office to do business. The aircraft may be smaller, but they are much more comfortable and roomy than an airliner. They know us and trust us, and we treat them well, as they do us. There time is very valuable. We can take them to three or four destinations in a day and get them back home. The same trip on an airliner would take three or even four days sometimes. With that said, they still fly the airlines much of the time. We only have three aircraft so they are not always available. As for them being rich- the Chairman of the Board and maybe the CEO and CFO are, but I would venture to say that I make more than most of my passengers do and if I don't then I am sure that they earned. Just my two cents.

Cliff

My point exactly, what we do (corporate pilots) is important, private jets are an essential business tool... But most of the public doesn't see it that way, they think of biz jets as perks, a CEO's toy , they think "hum 2 people on board, 6 empty seats". The media has done an excellent job on spreading that message.

We have to wait for this whole thing to blow over, my fear is- How many more people will loose their jobs??

Last edited:

Certainly you shouldnt forget the wealth you have in the friendship you have forged with an infamous yet obscure flight school in Chicago.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=107092

As an airline puke, I like to come into the corporate section now and again and see how things are going with y'all. Having flown a portion of my career in bizav, I miss it and I can honestly say I had a blast doing it.

Reading all the gloom-n-doom here about your futures leads me to wonder: Do you really think Joe Blow rich guy can handle traveling alongside the commonfolk? I mean who are we kidding? Sure he'll fly first class but domestic FC is a joke anyway. Even if he travels in international FC with a lie-flat seat, he will still be severly disappointed once he sees how American FAs treat customers. Or how he will have to chat it up with the guy next to him, whether he likes it or not.

Regardless of the aforementioned, the issue is not so much about the travel experience, which is pretty downtrodden for a wealthy person. It's about the standing in TSA lines with all us commoners. Having to wait in the gate area, boarding, dealing with airports, etc. I mean for a truly connected and wealthy individual, they're just not going to put up with it. Regardless of what the media thinks or prints, these execs will continue to use pvt jets. Maybe it will be via a frac deal, maybe by selling the plane and leasing it back. Either way, these aircraft that are being sold will continue to fly. Mark my words.

Hang in there, all.

What you really mean is, they are not going to put up with bad service. Why should they! One way to solve the problem is to by the company in question and liquidate it.

Latest resources

Back