The DL TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

The fact is we do not exactly know yet what is included in the TA, although there are plenty of rumors or leaks. As far as scope goes, IF the rumors are accurate, I doubt the TA will pass since scope really is a top priority for the remaining pilots. Why would the negotiators negotiate a deal with a scope gap like that? Good question, and the MEC will meet with the negotiators on TUES to discuss that. The collective MEC members then will vote up or down on the proposal, and the 3 ATL reps stated as late as Thursday (the day before the TA was reached) that they would not accept scope erosion, and 70 seats was the limit. On our Dalpa website I read that some NY reps stated the same on Thursday also to their members. They would be held accountable if they changed their minds, unless there was a REALLY good reason, and that would have to be sold to everyone. It will be interesting to say the least, but it is not over yet, and the MEC still has to vote before they could possibly send it to us. Most of the guys I talked to today after my 3 day trip in the lounge stated emphatically that they would vote no due to the scope allowance, and this came from 767 captains too. We shall see.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Lot of good talk, but you know as well as I know that the "767 guys" don't have too long to retirement. Now with the lack of a pension, the thought of looking for a new career at age 48 is quite a pill to swallow. Aviation is changing as is Automobile production. General I'd bet that you've owned a foreign vehicle in your lifetime. Shame on you! You can "hold the line" on scope if you want, but you'll only be a memory in a couple of years. Economics will beat you in the end everytime, union or not.

Good luck guys.

Old Crow said:
Lot of good talk, but you know as well as I know that the "767 guys" don't have too long to retirement. Now with the lack of a pension, the thought of looking for a new career at age 48 is quite a pill to swallow. Aviation is changing as is Automobile production. General I'd bet that you've owned a foreign vehicle in your lifetime. Shame on you! You can "hold the line" on scope if you want, but you'll only be a memory in a couple of years. Economics will beat you in the end everytime, union or not.

Good luck guys.

Thanks for the good luck, but we won't be a memory in a couple of years. If the company wants exit financing, they need a pilot deal. That means we need a TA we will accept, and scope is a part of that. This TA, if it is true what the leaks say, is a bad one. The creditors and management want their huge pay day with new stock, and that will eventually sway their own votes. They won't make any money if we strike.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Dalpa MEC Chair says......

Dear Fellow Pilot,
Early on the morning of April 14, the Delta MEC Negotiating Committee reached a Tentative Agreement with Delta management. As we have in the past, we will use the same practice as we proceed through the ratification process. I have called a special meeting of the MEC which will convene on Wednesday, April 19. During this meeting, the MEC will receive a comprehensive briefing on the Tentative Agreement, have ample opportunity to debate the TA, and then will decide whether or not to ratify the TA. If the TA receives MEC ratification, it will then be passed to the Delta pilots for membership ratification in accordance with the MEC policy manual. I understand that the next several days may be frustrating as you sense what may seem to be an information void. The Tentative Agreement contains a large volume of information, much of it very complex in nature, and it is important that your elected representatives be allowed to digest and understand the agreement. If the MEC elects to ratify the agreement, they will then be prepared to provide you with the complete and accurate information you will need to cast an informed vote.

Any erosion of scope, and I vote NOPE.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Obviously, concessions on scope are unacceptable to a lot of DAL guys. What concessions in other areas like pay, work rules, etc, would you guys be willing to accept in this TA?

90 seat aircraft are not RJs, and need to be flown by the majors. Otherwise you end up with some companies flying those "90 seat RJs" for the same rate as 50 seaters. It's a step in the right direction. CAL guys have the right idea with their 50-seat limitation.

Nindiri said:
Obviously, concessions on scope are unacceptable to a lot of DAL guys. What concessions in other areas like pay, work rules, etc, would you guys be willing to accept in this TA?

Well, the leaks say something about possibly "shoring up the pension." Anything that has to do with the pension should be disguarded, since we were told by the DL lawyer that it "most likely" would be terminated. Now, that doesn't mean we don't want some credit, but trying to keep it alive will not work. We also modified our sick leave rules to both of our benefits, which means the company gets something too. When it comes to pay, we were expecting pay snap backs, and if the leaks are correct, that won't happen for awhile.

In the long run, what does sticking with 70 seats vs 76 seats do for the company? It may bring in a bit more revenue, but that may not even be considered in this agreement. How much is scope worth? We were told it was a no cost item by the VP of flt ops. If that is the case, then it will cost them nothing to keep scope at 70 seats. I don't think scope was part of the $290 million a year, since KEEPING the 14% pay cut (not adding to it) was worth about $152 million. (of the $280-290 million) Would 60 76 seaters be worth the rest, without counting the sick leave stuff, maybe dropping one week of vacation, etc? I don't think so. So we will have to see what was included in the $280 million. We won't know until Wed or Thrus apparently.

Bye Bye--General Lee

urflyingme?! said:
And this is in the regionals section.........why?

It deals with scope of RJs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
general lee, I don't like you, and I feel that you don't like me. Let's make a deal. If Dalpa for any reason gives up scope, you go away and never post again. If Dalpa retains scope then I go away and never post again.

Since you are so sure that any changes to scope will be voted down, stand up, be a man, and take my challenge.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back