The career field as an A&P Mechanic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

I was interested in becoming a pilot for a regional airline, but decided against it. My other option is to investigate and consider a career in aviation as an A&P Mechanic. For those who are currently mechanics or going through the training to become one, is entering this particular field a wise career choice? You comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

Nope. :D

Seriously, which do you think you would RATHER do? There's probably less up-front cost in A&P school before you're making decent money, and who's to say what pilot (or mechanic) wages are gonna do in the future? Lotsa guys have gotten A&P's and then worked their way thru flight school. (Not very many do it the other way.) Ideally, if you can go to A&P school while you work a part-time job as an apprentice mechanic somewhere that will lead to a full-time mechanic job when you get your certificate, you'll be well ahead of the ballgame. However, depending upon the intensity of the A&P school's program, this may lead you to an early death. (Or in my case, baldness anyway.) Between School, work, homework and social life, you're a busy fella. One guy I went to school with unfortunately added "going thru a nasty divorce" to this list. How he made it, I'll never know. Then, if you still want to fly, go fly. If you decide to do it as a career, great; you'll always have maintenance to fall back on if you lose your medical. If not, hopefully you'll make enough as a mechanic to fly for fun.

Do both!!

While I was learning to fly in high school and college, I had a part time (really full time) job as an apprentice mechanic. I worked there for 7 years and got my sign off to take the A&P exams right before the company went out of business.

I waited a long time to finish the exams after I got my signoff (almost 5 years!) and regret that to this day. Whatever you do, do not slack off, trust me. Beer is OK, but beer and beautiful (ie crazy) women are not a good combination! If you only do one thing, remember that life is too short to be miserable, so have some fun and enjoy life.

Back to researching ADs.............:smash:

Regional pilot Vs. Mechanic

I was informed today that before I ponder further whether or not to make my absolute and final decision to become regional airline pilot vs. A&P, I need to visit an AME and see whether I qualify for the 1st class medical certification. If I don't get my medical, I will continue to investigate the mechanic schools.

There's nothing wrong with doing both. I started as a mechanic in the military and did it for years on the outside. Finally started flying later and work as a pilot now. Also skipped the whole regional crap and now fly non-sked freight which is a seperate pile of crap, but it sure beats that whole rj scene.

If you're really into flying for a living, do A&P and then (as you'll become a rich mechanic hehehe) apply for the pilot license than do what you want.

I have the A+P but don't use it. Trully believe it is of some value when flying. Do both.....

How would you pursue the A&P if you already have a degree and a full time job? Can you buy a "home study" kit and then pursue an internship or would it take a brick and mortar school to "get er done" . . . ????

Refer to 14CFR65 for your answer. The "internship" route required a minimum of 30 months full time, plus you'll have to study for the writtens because you won't be able to cover everything while working at one location.

Latest resources

Back