• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Terminology: "Five by Five" etc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are those numbers ("5 by 5") pulished anywhere for official ATC and pilot use with definitions? I prefer to use loud and clear...or not so clear....just describe what I hear.

While we're at it...can you pilots drop the "with you" when contacting an ATC facility. ATC knows you are "with them" by the mere fact they hear you transmitting. "With you" is totally redundant and waste of air time.

with you

Try not so clear out of the country, won't mean a thing, as long as you stay in the states you will be fine.

Are those numbers ("5 by 5") pulished anywhere for official ATC and pilot use with definitions? I prefer to use loud and clear...or not so clear....just describe what I hear.

I don't believe so. I think it originally started with Amateur (Ham) radio operators and CB'ers too and though pilots and ATC use that terminology, I don't believe it's official aviation lingo.

Last edited:
Goes back to the earliest days of radio! Back then you had two gauges. You could see your carrier wave on one and your modulation on the other! If you were 5 by 5 you had good signal strength and modulation. The terms stuck when radio was introduced to airplanes, but is NOT proper phraseology for pilots OR ATC under FAA (AIM) recommended usage. I agree that you will hear ALL kinds of stuff outside the US especially South of the equator. ICAO is "cracking down" on improper phraseology by requiring controllers to pass a multi part test on aviation English that includes pronunciation. If you fail, you have to get retrained and pass or lose your job. Part of being a professional in this business is eliminating "slang" such as "with you" and "fish finder" from your radio usage. IMHO This would make a good thread if folks posted their pet peeves on amateurish radio use they have experienced! Affirmative?

Yeah, we need to crack down on this "with you" and "fish finder" slang. These terms waste incalculable amounts of precious air time. We can and should all be little automatrons and speak nothing but AIM recommended phraseology. In fact, that's ALL I use at work and at home. It was a little weird at first tucking my kids in and saying goodnight to my wife but they understand the importance of keeping communication short and professional.

Here’s the new song I sing to our children to put them to bed:

"Silence little infant, maintain silence. You're biological Father will purchase an nesomimus (Mockingbird). In the event the Nesomimus negative squawk, biological Father will purchase a finger ornament with diamond attachment..."

Seriously, when the airwaves are congested is one thing. But half the time away from the North East it's light and not a big problem.

...Flame away.

Yeah, we need to crack down on this "with you" and "fish finder" slang. These terms waste incalculable amounts of precious air time. We can and should all be little automatrons and speak nothing but AIM recommended phraseology. In fact, that's ALL I use at work and at home. It was a little weird at first tucking my kids in and saying goodnight to my wife but they understand the importance of keeping communication short and professional.

Here’s the new song I sing to our children to put them to bed:

"Silence little infant, maintain silence. You're biological Father will purchase an nesomimus (Mockingbird). In the event the Nesomimus negative squawk, biological Father will purchase a finger ornament with diamond attachment..."

Seriously, when the airwaves are congested is one thing. But half the time away from the North East it's light and not a big problem.

...Flame away.

AMEN!

We are who we are. It's the color that we add that makes this jub still fun. take that away and we are one step closer to being replaced by robots.

Latest resources

Back