Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TxPilot0878

Get Some!
As I sit here prepping for an interview...I am am humiliatied by how many simple things learned in college have fallen by the wayside. Here are a couple of things I have been stumped on and was needing some help!

1.) In the AIM 1-1-8 I believe...LDA is mentioned, but I cannot find the tolerances in degrees from centerline it is allowed? All it mentions is 30 degrees is the cutoff for Straight in mins.

2.) Everybody has their own version of the 3 to 1 rule for planning descents it seems. I would like to know which one to use or the "correct" one.

3.) Difference between Type 1 & Type 4 deice (that deicing course in the freight days was the best cure for putting one to sleep after lunch and being under the AC).

4.) There is also a question about CDL....Coefficient of Drag and Lift???

5.) And last in the gouge there is a reference to required pireps. What do you think the interviewer is looking for because I can think of a pretty long list.

Any help with this would be great! I probably should've posted on the general board (given the CFI's their shot), but I am still new. Thanks again,

Regards,

TxPilot0878:cool:

I'll go with the easy one for now, since it's early and it's my day off and I'm feeling lazy.

#4. The CDL is the Configuration Deviation List. It's like the MEL, but differs in that the MEL references equipment which can be inoperative. The CDL references parts which can be missing, such as a flap track faring, for example. Often, CDL items carry a performance penalty.

Type I = De-Ice fluid, usually 50/50 water/glycol mix (heated)

Type IV = Anti-Ice (reference hold over charts)

Required PIREPS are listed in the AIM, the only one I can remember is: any unforecast weather encountered.

Mayday

Last edited:
1. LDA don't have to be aligned with the runway at all. They can be 90 degrees from the runway, but will be a circling approach in that case.

2. I use the divide altitude by 300, but I think the most common one is altitude times three. The former is closer to a three degree descent than the latter.

3. Different chemicals. Type I is red, is applied heated and can be used to de-ice as well as anti-ice the aircraft. Type IV is green, is applied cold and can only be used to anti-ice the aircraft. Type IV has a much longer hold-over time than type I. If the hold-over time is exceeded and the wings become contaminated, then you must completely remove the Type IV with Type I and then re-apply new Type IV. Clear as mud?

4. Already answered by flx757.

5. Unforecast weather, icing, anything that would be a hazard to flight, volcanic ash sightings/encounters, etc. I can't give you a definite list, sorry.

Thanks!

Thanks alot guys. Singlecoil...I just posed the question the wrong way,...thanks alot 90 degrees is the answer I was looking for. Well happy trails and blue skies!

Regards,

TxPilot0878

On the 3-1 descent:

Multiply the altitude that you need to lose by 3, and use five times the ground speed for the rate of descent to use (or devide the ground speed by 1/2 and multiply by 10).

For example; Flying at FL350 at .80 mach and a crossing restriction is given to cross xyz at 10,000' and 250 knots.

You need to lose 25,000'. Multiply 25 X 3 = 75 miles.

Your ground speed is 480 kts, so your rate of descent should be 2,400 fpm (initially, but you need to recalculate every 1,000').

Now, lets say when you transition from mach to IAS in the lower altitudes, and your idicated is 320 KIAS. You need to add 1 mile for each 10 KIAS to lose to make the 250 restriction. To lose 70 KIAS, you need an additional 7 miles. Total 75 + 7 = 82 miles to descend.

Even though you may get into a new and fancy Regional Jet, don't go brain dead with the automation. Do the math yourself sometimes.

Thanks!

GCD thank you for breaking down the 3-1 Descent. You added the details that I needed (which are sometimes neglected for simplicity I imagine). I just got back after a visit with a friend of mine from United, and that is how he explained it. Well done!
Thanks again,

TxPilot0878

Latest resources

Back