Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hogan9

Hello all,
I've heard when you interview with any company, you are always tested on your knowledge of the most advanced aircraft you fly...my question is...as a cfi, most of my multi time (280 out of 320) is in a seminole...I have done SOME 135 training/ride alongs in a Navajo where I have flown some legs, and just ridden others, but haven't done a lot of systems training (about 10-20 hours total...even with the low hours, should I expect that they'll want my knowledge of the Navajo? Any advice would be appreciated...thanks.

If you tell me that you've flown 10 to 20 hours in a Navajo but haven't had any formal systems training, personally I'd ask you questions concerning gear and flap limit speeds, what was the Company's policy on configuring for approaches, Company checklist items and usage, and other things that were flight related.

The principle I'm trying to develop is, that if you put something on your resume, you should be prepared to discuss it in a professional way; on the other hand, don't worry about having knowledge that is clearly inappropriate for your level of training.

In this example, you were/are not a PA-31 Captain and (you say) you haven't received or claimed any Company training. Therefore, if I asked you a detailed systems knowledge question, and appropriate response (IMO) would be to frankly and politely reply that you don't know, because you've received no training.

Now, this brings up two schools of thought, one of which is likely to erupt further on down this thread, based on what I have said so far. I'll describe it as the "No-excuses-you-spoon-feeding-spoiled-brat" theory, which basically advocates (note the all caps) that "IF YOU'RE GOING TO FLY IN AN AIRCRAFT, MISTER, YOU BETTER KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT IT!" Frankly, I find this tiresome and "old school" in the worst sense of the term.

The other school of thought, submitted for your consideration, is that an interviewer who is sure of himself may in fact ask you a question in detail that is far above your level of experience...and he knows it.

If this occurs, rest assured that he's trying to see if you'll bluff.

Don't.

Or, he may be trying to see if you'll rattle. Be calm and reply as I've advised above.

Best of luck with your interview, and remember, the answer which is correct the greatest percentage of the time is, "I don't know." You can, however, correct much of the negative associated with such a response with the addition of, "but I could find out by ____(fill in the blank)____."

thanks

Thanks for the response...I appreciate the opinion...I agree somewhat that you shouldn't be flying an AC without knowing some basic systems, speed, limitations, etc., which I studied before hand and do know, but I'm probably just getting anxious...there is A LOT about the seminole I've learned over a long period of time that is not in the books, or at least isn't clear until you experience it...and I'm pretty comfortable with that knowledge - still don't know a lot, but much more than the Navajo...thanks again for the response.

hogan9 said:
Thanks for the response...I appreciate the opinion...I agree somewhat that you shouldn't be flying an AC without knowing some basic systems, speed, limitations, etc., which I studied before hand and do know, but I'm probably just getting anxious...there is A LOT about the seminole I've learned over a long period of time that is not in the books, or at least isn't clear until you experience it...and I'm pretty comfortable with that knowledge - still don't know a lot, but much more than the Navajo...thanks again for the response.

I had time in the seminole, seneca, navajo, grumman cougar, beech travelair and baron. During the 'technical' part of my interview, the only multi engine question that was asked was about Vmc, "pick 3 factors and explain them". The interviewer asked me what my favorite quirk/dislike was about the single I was currently flying, not the twin. FYI.

The funny thing is I forgot the POH to the baron, but brought the A36 instead (mixed 'em up when I packed) to brush up on for the interview. It ended up working out!

The interviewer did go through my logbooks, so I'm sure he saw the other a/c.

~wheelsup

Latest resources

Back