Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gas Man

I fly RJ's!
I was wondering is anyone had any insight on taxes for pilots working outside the good ol' U.S. I am brand new to the contract pilot gig, been here two weeks, and would like to know a ballpark percentage that I can expect to pay. I have been saving my receipts (lap top, cell, food, ect.) just in case these things can be written off.
Secondly, is it true that after you are out of the U.S. for 345 consecutive days, the first 85K is tax free? Any general information would help.

I was wondering is anyone had any insight on taxes for pilots working outside the good ol' U.S. I am brand new to the contract pilot gig, been here two weeks, and would like to know a ballpark percentage that I can expect to pay. I have been saving my receipts (lap top, cell, food, ect.) just in case these things can be written off.
Secondly, is it true that after you are out of the U.S. for 345 consecutive days, the first 85K is tax free? Any general information would help.

The last I read the tax law it was 330 days out of the country in a tax year. Does not need to be consecutive. Basically you get 35 days visiting allowance in the US for max tax advantage. May have changed. Kinda stinks because you can't use this advantage unless you have been fully employed overseas for a whole tax year (Jan-Dec).

OK so if somebody's too lazy to properly research, and because we're all so anonymous in here and all, is there anybody living in the US but flying abroad as an expat and NOT paying any US taxes??

OK so if somebody's too lazy to properly research, and because we're all so anonymous in here and all, is there anybody living in the US but flying abroad as an expat and NOT paying any US taxes??

If they are residing in the U.S. and not paying taxes, then they are guilty of tax fraud and probably won't be replying here (no matter how "anonymous" it is). The only caveat is if they are paying taxes in another country that has a tax treaty with the U.S.. Then, based on the conditions of the treaty, they can deduct the foreign taxes paid from their U.S. tax bill. Either way, they must file and are "subject" to U.S. taxes.

To qualify for the foreign resident exclusion, you must be a foreign resident - period. That means living overseas. Guys trying to get clever are just going to ruin it for those of us who try to play by the rules.

It seems that over on Pprune guys are saying that housing allowance from EK is considered taxable by the IRS. That will easily top the $85K threshold for the foreign exclusion. If you live in company provided accomodation would the IRS try to assign some tax value to that or is it completely untaxable?

Latest resources

Back