TARP legislation!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stolen from another board...

Wells was FORCED to participate in the bailout in the form of accepting the government's "offer" to buy up equity shares in certain banks to help make them more accountable to the public. The government was able to coerce Wells into cooperating because they were competing against Citibank for the takeover of Wachovia and there was an outstanding question as to whose offer had standing, despite the fact that the Wells offer required ZERO government money - bailout $$$ or otherwise. The government threw its support behind Wells in exchange for their acquiescence.

As pointed out previously by others, no company was forced to participate in the TARP program. They were told that it was a one time offer. If they turned it down when first offered they would not get a second chance. And that was only the first 9 companies, the 200 plus that have since participated had to apply.

It's tough on the pilots but no company that has been so mismanaged to the point where they need taxpayer money to survive should be wasting money flying around in owned or chartered airplanes. Yes, we've all been told what great tools the airplanes are for increasing efficiency, etc. This is only true for a well run, profitable company. A lot of these companies require their executives to use the planes for security reasons. That's the biggest joke of all. They have run the companies in to the ground but it's way too risky for them to use the airlines.

By your logic patq, all the senators and of course barry should not take their pvt. aircraft. Im all for it!!! Way should the tax payers have to pay for Pelosi, Reid, Frank.. to take a pvt jet? After all they have mismanaged the Gov't into the ground.

I completely agree. Senators and Reps should be flying on the airlines like the people that they serve. Unless of course, they paid for the airplanes themselves with their own money. I live in Massachusetts, a very rare Republican, and I can't believe that I agree with Barney Frank on anything but I can't see companies that are on the brink of ruin operating a flight department. Of course, he bears a lot of responsibility for the whole subprime mess and seeing Bill O'Reilly take him to task on tv was a great pleasure.

As pointed out previously by others, no company was forced to participate in the TARP program. They were told that it was a one time offer. If they turned it down when first offered they would not get a second chance. And that was only the first 9 companies, the 200 plus that have since participated had to apply.

It's tough on the pilots but no company that has been so mismanaged to the point where they need taxpayer money to survive should be wasting money flying around in owned or chartered airplanes. Yes, we've all been told what great tools the airplanes are for increasing efficiency, etc. This is only true for a well run, profitable company. A lot of these companies require their executives to use the planes for security reasons. That's the biggest joke of all. They have run the companies in to the ground but it's way too risky for them to use the airlines.

O.k. Let me rephrase is then. They were not forced. they were told Take it or we will not play with you anymore. No more participation in Government programs etc. Please read the following. It explains what I am talking about. They were told if they did no take it, it would place a "stigma" on the banks that did. Like my words or not they were forced. The TARP funds are already as corrupt as everything else in Washington. All on our tab too.

http://www.whyarentyouscreaming.com/2008/12/10/congress-vs-treasury-over-700-billion-tarp-bailout/

http://www.beurs.nl/nieuws/artikel....itel=New_TARP_Would_Allow_More_Rules_For_Old_...

BTW, If either of you want my information, dig it up yourself. I did. I am a NBAA member and also fly contract occasionally for one of these banks and am very aware of what happened. Good luck in your search.
So the CEO of the bank you are flying conract for is coming up front and discusing these issues with you? Uh hu. Was he wanting you to advise him on what to do next? Or did you just hear what was going on from the other pilot you were flying with, because God knows if a pilot said it, then it is exactly what it is. Pilots are the 1st line of detailed corporate info. As a matter of fact, the Feds called the pilot, fully briefed him then gave him instructions to give a full report to the CEO and CFO. Did you know the AF1 commander gives the president of the US his national security briefing every morning before he goes out to check on the 747-200. Pilots do it all!!!!! Thanks 400A for learning all of us on the TARP funds and what goes on behind the scenes.

Plain and simple, It was crooked, and has been defeated.

Barney Frank is a corrupt!
Frank is corrupt because he wants TARP companies to give up their corporate jets? 400A, that is the dumbest thing said on this forum all year. He'll be arrested and charged with a crime now that you have exposed Frank for him being so corrupt. Thanks for saving us once again with your infinate wisdom. We are learning just how bright you are.

In another post, you wrote you charge only a few trips a year to the business? So, you flying 135 now? I better have a further look into that.

They were told if they did no take it, it would place a "stigma" on the banks that did.
Why would a healthy bank that did not need and did not take TARP funds care if a stigma was placed on those that did. Seems to me that rather than having a stigma, they would have a heightened perception of credibility in the public eye.

OK, take this money or we'll shoot the dog.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0000033PY/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

Fire away, stranger.

Last edited:
Why would a healthy bank that did not need and did not take TARP funds care if a stigma was placed on those that did. Seems to me that rather than having a stigma, they would have a heightened perception of credibility in the public eye.

OK, take this money or we'll shoot the dog.

Fire away, stranger.
Boom! Excellent point Andy! To pile on, the banks knew in Septembe, just like the rest of us, that the new president would be Obama and they would not have these issues once january rolled around. They know Paulson would be a non factor in just a matter of weeks. This 400A is speaking on a subject that greatly exceeds the scope of his knowledge. I wouldnt waste any more time trying to explain anything to him; reason simply eludes him.

So the CEO of the bank you are flying conract for is coming up front and discusing these issues with you? Uh hu. Was he wanting you to advise him on what to do next? Or did you just hear what was going on from the other pilot you were flying with, because God knows if a pilot said it, then it is exactly what it is. Pilots are the 1st line of detailed corporate info. As a matter of fact, the Feds called the pilot, fully briefed him then gave him instructions to give a full report to the CEO and CFO. Did you know the AF1 commander gives the president of the US his national security briefing every morning before he goes out to check on the 747-200. Pilots do it all!!!!! Thanks 400A for learning all of us on the TARP funds and what goes on behind the scenes.

Frank is corrupt because he wants TARP companies to give up their corporate jets? 400A, that is the dumbest thing said on this forum all year. He'll be arrested and charged with a crime now that you have exposed Frank for him being so corrupt. Thanks for saving us once again with your infinate wisdom. We are learning just how bright you are.

In another post, you wrote you charge only a few trips a year to the business? So, you flying 135 now? I better have a further look into that.

You continue to show your stupidity. No I am not flying 135. I fly for a wealthy individual who most of his flying is personal. Not Business. The few times a year we do a 100% business trip with no wife, no house keepers, no dogs, then we write off the trip.

While you are looking into it, I will make it simple for you. Individual buys a plane with personal funds. Plane is registered to the company. No expenses are deducted as business, unless business related. To difficult for you?

To answer your moronic assumption about the CEO of said bank talking to me about bank business. Nope. But he sure did with the Director of Aviation who informed all pilots both salaried and contract that we should all contact our Senators and Congressmen. We all did as requested.

As far as the comment about Barney Frank. No stupid, he is not corrupt because he attacked corporate aviation. He is just plain corrupt. If you are not bright enough to see that then there is nothing I can say to help you.

If you guys dot want to see it, stick your head in the sand, but don't cry when you are out of work. It wont effect me other than a few days a year when they ask me to help out.

Guess that has nothing to do with the fact that restriction was removed. Enjoy the sand boys, I am done with this subject.

Did not even read the links did you?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back