Talking to ATC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV8TR70

I'm a little rusty talking to ATC, flying a jump plane doesn't have alot of talk with ATC. I'm getting ready to start flying SIC in a Jet so I need to brush up on the radio's. Any advice or flow that speeds things up?

Either listen to the online feeds at busy airports or, if you live near a major airport, get a radio scanner and listen to approach control.

I agree with flyer172r. Get a scanner and sit and repeat back ATC clearances and calls. You will still find yourself tongue tied at times even with experience...just dont sweat it too much...Yesterday in FL I had to have a controller repeat a clearence to me 3 times because he was being a jerk and wanting everyone who was listening to know how fast of a talker he was...turns out, once I got the instruction, I could repeat it back in half the time he said it because he insisted on using the phonetic alphabet to spell out each fix and I just said the name of each VOR...but I am sure someone listening thought he was cool and I was a moron. Oh well.

I agree with flyer172r. Get a scanner and sit and repeat back ATC clearances and calls. You will still find yourself tongue tied at times even with experience...just dont sweat it too much...Yesterday in FL I had to have a controller repeat a clearence to me 3 times because he was being a jerk and wanting everyone who was listening to know how fast of a talker he was...turns out, once I got the instruction, I could repeat it back in half the time he said it because he insisted on using the phonetic alphabet to spell out each fix and I just said the name of each VOR...but I am sure someone listening thought he was cool and I was a moron. Oh well.

No, the controller was a moron.

I'm a little rusty talking to ATC, flying a jump plane doesn't have alot of talk with ATC. I'm getting ready to start flying SIC in a Jet so I need to brush up on the radio's. Any advice or flow that speeds things up?

Tough one here! Everyone has their own idea of good radio com and the AIM is really pretty light on substance. For me what works is polite, use proper formats/phonetics and be BRIEF! Listen to all those transmissions out there and think about what words you can drop and still communicate! Examples:

Argh!
"Good Afternoon Norcal approach this is Gulfstream November 555 Sugar Papa checking in with you at 18 with pilots discretion down to 13 with the numbers at San Fran"

If it were me:

"Good afternoon Norcal, Gulfstream 5,5,5 Sierra Papa, FL180 discretion 1,3 thousand, Charlie"

Center: "Gulfstream 5 Sierra Papa, traffic 2 o'clock, moving 12 o'clock, altitude indicates 8,500"

Argh!

"Yeah center were looking for that traffic and we've got him on the "fish finder" (or metal detector) indicating 500' feet below us"

If it were me:

"Looking (or Roger), Gulfstream 5 Sierra Papa"

There will be situations where you'll have to break out of the mold and have a "real" discussion when things crop up and use real world sentences to comunicate. Have fun getting into the game and try not to sound like a drunk trucker!!!

Say "with you" whenever you contact ATC.

Ha! Yeah, this way they know you learned that from Flight Simulator. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back