Taking pictures durring first solo???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Clear-&aMillion said:
I want to do this, but I can already see people saying "That's a dangerous distraction". "Not on your first solo", etc... Any thoughts???

not on your VERY first solo...try it on your second or third! There is alot of activity in the airplane your first solo.

Let somebody else take pictures of you from the ground, you've got enough to be worrying about.

I'd hold off on that one for a while. You'll have enough other things to be thinking about. I've seen some people mounting a camera, but I still wouldn't recomend doing that for while. I'm sure your instructor would agree.

I took pictures on my first solo X-C. Somewhere between DED and DAB there in the picture was an airplane that I obviously did NOT see. It's kinda hard to practice see and avoid when looking through a camera viewfinder. Take the pics when you're not flying by yourself, that's my advice......or wait untill you're an airline pilot, plenty of time to snap pics on 2+ hour legs........

Clear-&aMillion said:
I want to do this, but I can already see people saying "That's a dangerous distraction". "Not on your first solo", etc... Any thoughts???
You're going to be in the pattern, probably with other aircraft, you'll be up to your eyebrows in airplane and you ask that question? I wouldn't take pictures of myself flying in the pattern. I hate to say this, but if I were your CFI I'd be questioning your judgment. Personally, I don't think you're ready to solo.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
You're going to be in the pattern, probably with other aircraft, you'll be up to your eyebrows in airplane and you ask that question? I wouldn't take pictures of myself flying in the pattern. I hate to say this, but if I were your CFI I'd be questioning your judgment. Personally, I don't think you're ready to solo.

'Sled

Fair enough man. I honestly thought snapping a quick picture on the downwind might be okay. You could be right, I'm not ready.

BankAccount=0$ said:
I took pictures on my first solo X-C. Somewhere between DED and DAB there in the picture was an airplane that I obviously did NOT see. It's kinda hard to practice see and avoid when looking through a camera viewfinder. Take the pics when you're not flying by yourself, that's my advice......or wait untill you're an airline pilot, plenty of time to snap pics on 2+ hour legs........
If theres only one plane you don't see between DED and DAB, you are in great shape...

Won't kill ya to wait a few weeks or months. Just focus on the flying...this is a big day.
Clear-&aMillion said:
Fair enough man. I honestly thought snapping a quick picture on the downwind might be okay. You could be right, I'm not ready.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back