Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

urflyingme?!

Man Among Men
I need about 40 hrs. What do you guys think is the best way to gain some experience in a tailwheel.

If you're wondering why I need it, i want to do some banner towing and since I'm quite low time, I need the hours in a dragger.

Thanks, once again, for the info!

Not to get this off subject, but what part of the country are you looking to be doing the banner towing at? Have you talked to anyone yet about a job, and if so what kind of experience or time are they requiring nowadays?

Depends...

If you just want to get 40 hours of tailwheel time then move on, you should find a local FBO that has a citabria or something similar to rent and try to get a block discount. The FBO's insurance may require a substantial amount of the 40 hours to be dual if you've not got much tailwheel time already.

Another approach, if you want to keep flying tailwheels, would be to put up the money to buy a cheap, older tailwheel airplane (I guess except for Maule's, they're all older now) and fly the heck out of it. Something like:

Cessna 120 for sale

You'll need to find insurance, but that's not impossible even with zero tailwheel time. You'll probably pay $1000-$1500 with zero TW time for hull and liability coverage (just my W.A.G.). Add $1500/year for annual and fuel and oil at 5 gph and you're probably looking at $45/hour (assuming you fly it 100 hours/year). Find a partner that wants to fly it another 100/year and your cost goes down to $30/hour. You'll obviously have to run your own numbers.

In either case you best bet for not bending metal is to find an experienced tailwheel instructor (not an experienced tailwheel pilot that happens to instruct, but an instructor that is experienced teaching tailwheel transitions).

YMMV.

OrcasC180 said:
Add $1500/year for annual and fuel

Try to get in good with an IA or AP, the AP buddy I have, has a few IA buddies. You know do the network thing, could save you some bucks, if for example one of the jugs needs to be replaces. IMHO.

Plus drinking beer and working on airplanes/cars with a bud. kicks ass.

I've been thinking about that(buying a small plane). Only prob is time frame, I'm trying to get a job for the summer season. I would definately love to go in on a smaller aircraft and share costs to build time and such, as well as have a blast (and maybe take a few lovely coeds up for, "scenic tours").

Tailwheel time

40 hrs of tailwheel time to kill huh....

- get a DC-3 type.
- get some mountain training in say Idaho or Washington.
- get some tailwheel dual in something different. Do some shopping. Maybe find somebody that'll give dual in a Stearman or a Waco.

Just some fun suggestions to pass the 40 hrs.....

crjdude

DC-3 Type eh???
Sounds cool, keep em coming guys, I'm actually interested in the most outlandish of them all!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back