• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Switching Careers to Law Enforcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know if this is a problem for the OP, but one of the reasons I left law enforcement is the uncorrected vision requirements that many departments have. I couldn't meet them and I can't wear soft contacts.

That's odd that police officers need better uncorrected vision than an ATP holder. I wear glasses (contacts really) and always worry that I might not meet the uncorrected near-sighted requirement.

What's the reason why you can't wear soft contacts? Does it have to do with an astigmatism. Traditionally, if you had a large enough astigmatisim, you couldn't wear contacts, and glasses were the only option. If so, they've recently come out with contacts that correct for astigmatism. J& J makes them, but they are VERY expensive. I have a slight asitgmatism in one eye, but the opti docs. have told me my curvature is too slight to benefit from the new technology.

That's odd that police officers need better uncorrected vision than an ATP holder. I wear glasses (contacts really) and always worry that I might not meet the uncorrected near-sighted requirement.

A cop might need to be able to see to shoot someone at a distance....possibly after a wrestling match or foot chase. Glasses might get knocked off.

12 years as a Sheriff's Deputy working patrol. Just over four years working for a large regional now. Haven't missed a day of the old job. I was fortunate to get on with a regional with a fast moving seniority list and spent 2 1/2 months on reserve as an FO and upgraded in 2 years 4 months. Held a line as CA right after upgrade. However, 15 months later furloughs came and I am back in the right seat again. Still, I wouldn't change my decision.

LE was fun for a while. Worked for my Department's SWAT team for a few years and had some experiences you would never have had in any other profession. However, dealing with drunk Bob on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and arresting the same a..hole for the same thing over and over again just got tiring after a while. Couldn't see myself doing it for another 20 years waiting for my guaranteed govt. retirement. I still get pretty good pension once I turn 50, so it wasn't wasted time.

I can't tell you it was a bad deal. Just wasn't for me for the long haul.

What's the reason why you can't wear soft contacts? Does it have to do with an astigmatism. Traditionally, if you had a large enough astigmatisim, you couldn't wear contacts, and glasses were the only option. If so, they've recently come out with contacts that correct for astigmatism. J& J makes them, but they are VERY expensive. I have a slight asitgmatism in one eye, but the opti docs. have told me my curvature is too slight to benefit from the new technology.

Simple,
If you get hit in the face, will your contacts stay in place? Can you fight, and shoot with the remaining vision? The job will force you to grow up very fast, its hard to grasp that there are people out there who want to kill you just because you pinned on a badge that day. And they look just like you and your neighbors. Tough job, you will earn every penny you get and unlike airline work, where when you walk up the jetway you are done, being a LEO is a 24/7/365 lifestyle.
PBR

I guess I can relate. I usually wear contacts but on time I had my glasses on and got into a fisticuff with another motorist and my glasses got knocked the F off.

Right not, if a LEO walked up to you and said "I'm thinking about a career change to aviation", what would you tell them? The job markets are just about the same right now, damn near non existent.

I was flying DHC-8, sim instructor / check airman until 2007. I think my 2006 W-2 was around $52k doing that. 2-3 weeks away from home at a time, getting called constantly while at home to go fly...never seeing my family. Only knew my schedule 1 month ahead of time at best. 2 weeks vacation a year. Pathetic (but typical) private sector 401(k). always concerned with base closures, seat displacements, furloughs, advancement stagnation etc. etc. etc.

Fast forward to today. Been with a relatively small western city agency (110 sworn) now coming up on 2 years. I see my family every day, work 4 10 hour shifts (3 day weekends EVERY week unless I work OT). I've NEVER been junior assigned on a day off. W-2 for 08 will be around $74k. Base pay is around $65k with no OT (you'll always work SOME OT). I contirbute just shy of 11% to my 401 plan, city matches with 11% contribution. Retire after 20 years. No fewer than 6 weeks of vacation/sick time. Got Christmas off last year. Could have had Thanksgiving. This year I'll have all b'days, anniversarys etc off. As far as job security goes, LE is generally a LOT more secure than the airlines. I don't have to worry about base closures or transfers or having a huge paycut by going to the right seat. I know my regular work schedule for the whole year.

For me it's the "little" things...the intangibles. In LE, I get paid my full rate whenever I'm at work (not just while I'm writing a ticket or making an arrest). That means: on the street, in training, at a meeting, in court etc etc. If it's over 40 hours in a week...it's time and a half. If I get in the car, go to court and it's canceled at the last minute, I get a min of 2 hours overtime (read: all cancelations are paid and compensated appropriately). If I want a day off at the last minute...a quick call to my SGT (who I work with every day...not some far off dude who I may never have met and cares nothing about me or my family) and he checks the schedule to see if he's got enough people to cover the shift. If so...BOOM....day off....no questions asked. If my son gets seriously ill and I need to take time off...the CHIEF sends a card, some flowers and a gift as a "Get Well" token. You're part of a family, not an expense on the profit/loss statement. Comaraderie is great. You save each others lives...and put up with the same nonsense every day...you develop solid, lasting friendships.

It has done wonders for my family life. I was looking to get out of aviation without having to go back to school for a long period of time but still be able to pull in a liveable salary. This met the criteria in every way and then some. Like has been said...it's not for everyone. Your family HAS to be on board or else AIDS turns into LEIDS. I'm a night owl so working nights doesn't bother me but even so it DOES take a toll on your body. Like flying, it's a lifestyle...but VASTLY different. As with every job, there's unpleasant things that need to be done. There is a danger factor. You and your family have to come to terms with that. Ignore COPS / CSI and other hollywood representations of LE. It's not all about the high-stress chasing dangerous subjects down dark alleys etc. Yes there are moments...but they're spaced out a LOT more than in a 30 minute episode of COPS. MOST encounters, even (or maybe ESPECIALLY) of a potentially dangerous nature are slowed down and planned out to the point of being almost boring.

I'm very happy with the decision I made, but as you can see...others have been happy switching the other way. I've only been doing it for 2 years. I'm still a baby in this career. There's certainly lots of variety. LE takes on many many different shapes and forms.

One thing about Federal LE. Lots of people are recommending you "go federal". Beware: it's VERY competitive. They are good jobs and as a result a lot of people with many years of LE experience are applying for those same jobs. Depending on the job, there could be lots of traveling with a Federal agency along with transfers etc. Despite what a previous poster said, even with state budget cuts, while there may be fewer jobs available in LE than 6 months ago, there are VASTLY more jobs available in LE now than there is in flying. A lot of agencies are still hiring, even if in reduced numbers.

Good luck. PM if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer what I can.

Last edited:
I went the other way. Worked for the Dept of Correction for five years then switched to flying. It was an asset. Nothing surprises me or offends me.

Yes, it is very odd.

My problem was that apparently the tears in my eyes have a unusually high amount of protein. It would clog the pores in my contacts very quickly, preventing oxygen from getting to my eyes. As a result, blood vessels would appear closer to the surface of my eyes, making them appear red. My optometrist told me that some of those vessels had started to grow across my iris. After getting out of the contacts, the vessels retracted, but there were still some "ghost vessels" that could easily come back if I had a similar problem again. If I did have a similar problem again, it's possible that the vessels might grow across the pupil, affecting my vision.

Anyway, I've been told that there are better soft contacts available, but I don't want to risk permanent damage by trying them when I really don't have a problem wearing glasses. I've also been hesitant about trying LASIK for the same reason.

Anyway, every once in a while I read the police blotter in the old stomping grounds and see the same old types of BS calls that I HATED going on. That job certainly had it moments, and even in that small town I've seen and done things that most people would never get to do in even ten lifetimes, but when I read that blotter, I'm glad that I got out. I was 28 years old (with 7.5 years of law enforcement experience) when I walked out of HQ for the last time.....a civilian. I felt like I was 40.

Don't get me wrong, larger departments have methods for dealing with this sort of crap without sending an officer and the people who work for those departments seem to enjoy their jobs.

About getting your glasses knocked off in a fight....that happened to me once when i was on duty. A piece of advice for anyone thinking that they can overpower a cop by knocking off his glasses....you're wrong. If you want to get your ass kicked by a cop, knock the glasses off his face.....you'll be face down in the dirt covered with OC spray and possibly being punctured by Taser darts faster than you can say "police brutality."

....anyway, that's what I've heard.

Last edited:
I am curious if anyone has quit their regional and began a career in Law Enforcement. If you have, any pros or cons to doing it?

I was a 22 year old Captain for a very small sched Part 135 commuter airline in 1976 ....... and by late 1977, I was a full time Depty Sheriff for a very large Sheriff's Dept in SoCal. There were a variety of reasons for the switch, but the most basic of them was that, at 22 years old and with 2000 hrs of flight time, I was just bored with "gear up, autopilot on"; I knew that airline flying just did not have enough of an adrenaline kick for me, and I couldn't see myself spending half my life away from home and sleeping in hotels, with a job that was, to me, basically, too boring to spend the next 38 years doing. So I "switched", and became a cop. I spent most of the first 20 years of my LE career working uniformed patrol, detective and undercover assignments, both as a Deputy and as a Sergeant, almost all of that time in "inner city/ghetto/high crime areas". To this day, I still miss the time I spent working uniformed patrol in the County territory near "Watts" in South Central Los Angeles in the early 1980's; that was the most fun I ever had with my clothes on, and, even to this day, the only job (or assignment) I ever had where I did not want to leave at the end of my shift, and could not wait to get back the next day. (I didn't want to miss anything; it was that entertaining.). For the last 11 years, I have been flying helos and F/W at our Aviation Unit, which is also fun......... just not quite as much fun as working patrol in the "inner city". Add in decent pay (at least for the bigger West Coast Dept's); an excellent retirement; and home every nite, and it was, at least for me, a career change I have never regretted. And even before being assigned to our Dept's aviation unit, I still managed to remain involved professionally in aviation in a part-time capacity, with a variety of jobs from CFI to part-time contract pilot in stuff like twin Cessnas and King Airs.

Just keep in mind that a career in law enforcement is not for everyone. You have to be willing and able to use physical force on another person, and even kill someone, if need be; you put yourself in harms way every day. I've been to a lot of law enforcement funerals in my 30+ years as a cop; it is a pretty sobering experience, especially when it was someone you knew or worked with at some point in your career. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Latest resources

Back