Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoopDog

SWA Pool Dog Paddler
It's certainly "Shock and Awe" going on now in Baghdad, but here on the airline homefront, it's just another "No shock, just awe" 1st quarter for SWA. Rock on boys. That company is amazing.

Coop

Dow Jones Business News
Southwest See 1st-Quarter Profit; No Plans to Cut Service
Friday March 21, 7:57 am ET

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--In spite of the war in Iraq, Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE:LUV - News) has no plans to cut service and expects to be profitable in the first quarter, said Chief Financial Officer Gary Kelly.
"The fact that we're an all-domestic carrier gives us an advantage," he told CNBC Friday.

However, March's load factor will be lower than in 2002, primarily because Easter falls in April this year instead of March.

The company "has seen a little softness in the books this week," Kelly added.

The air carrier has lot of cash on hand and is 100% hedged against increased fuel prices, he said.

Loads

Just finished IOE (4-day @ MDW)

Ran back and forth east to west.

ASD was about 2.5 hours.

Over 11 legs we had about a 82% load factor.

No vacation or spring break stops (ie. MCO, TPA, etc)

My unscientific poll made me quite happy that loads were as good as they were despite all the events that are going on now.

Slug

Just Awesome!

Great news on the first Q! I read an article in USA Today last week about the fuel hedging the airlines had done and was great to hear that SWA had it all taken care of.... as always. Of course when you have lots of cash it makes a difference.

Now that I had a buddy in the Feb 3 class giving me the scoup on all the fun and hard work he's had in DAL, I can't wait to join everyone in Texas!

Congrats to everyone in the April 7th class and hope to hear of another in late April.

:D

I love the company I work for and will never leave .... BUT... as I have said on this board many, many times... Southwest IS the benchmark for all airlines everywhere. I'm very glad that the CEO of my company feels the same way and says the exact same thing. I think our success is a direct result of our SWA cost model.

Congrats to all you at SWA.

PS - We're still better... just kidding!!

Yeah, But I bet you applied to Delta!! (just kidding FDJ)

Currently on a trip.... 3 legs today (thats not 8)
Load factors -

137/137 = 100%
137/137 = 100%
99/137 = 72%

Ops agents in PHX and SJC said loads have been very strong today.

Loads (part deux)

Not that the loads weren't great on my IOE, but they made the commute home (BNA) almost unbearable. 4 flights starting at 1415; all at 100+% on a Thursday night.

That JS behind the Captain makes your butt numb after about 20 minutes.

Slug

Our driver seats make me numb in ten minutes. Cant wait to go to Denver in the 717.... Our jump seat is only good for 5. I bet the Big Boys have nicer seats .... LOLOLOL Rock on Orange belly money makers ! Keep up the good work. Regards, from the green tail penny pincher.

mnboyev,

Don't you miss flying that Falcon 20? Are you on the official JUS alumni list?

Nope... dont miss the ol girl.... Just Taco Palenque in LRD SP? I heard about KE... GOOD For HIM... persistence pays off !!

mnboyev:

You're senior to me... BARELY... but still senior. Shouldn't you be going to SWA by now so I can move up!! Or better yet don't you REALLY miss the Falcon?!

Just kidding, been home for a few and been posting alot here lately. See you next week.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back