Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CF34-3B1 said:
Since we're sort of on the subject;

Anyone currently on the property have an idea of how long it's taking newhires to hold MCO? How long to hold a line?

Thanks for the input.

I don't know about a line but I got it my second month and it was my third choice behind BWI and MDW.

Titusville...right across the Indian River from the Kennedy Space Center...It has now become one of the Fastest growing communities in the country..Number 3 behind Ft Meyers and Mesa AZ...the housing is still reasonable, very quiet city, good schools, but this is an emerging city just starting to modernize..alot of Orlando people are buying here because the drive to Orlando is only 25/35 minutes to anywhere ..the housing prices are still much lower than Orlando....

We have lots of water to live on and boating is fantastic year round... I am moving to a new job out west and selling our Home here...(shamless plug) but we are in one of the nicest neighborhoods, a 3/2/2 with a hugh heated screen pool..large yard....everything renovated..in top shape....they houses are selling in less than 3 weeks here....

I would highly consider this area....over the crowded Orlando areas...

You can also try NW of Orlando, I live in Ocoee. Its about a 25 minute drive from my driveway to the employee parking lot. It is a booming area and the new Ocoee high school is less than 2 miles from my neighborhood.

There is a great amount of building going on around here but it is real difficult to purchase new construction because of high demand. Home prices have escalated to very high levels but seem to be in your price range. A 3 br, 2 bath, 2 car garage home is going for about $411,000.

Here is my builders website: WWW.ENGLEHOMES.COM

Orange County, Osceloa Co., and Seminole Co. seem to be the hottest areas.

Also in the NW area you can find the cities of Winter Garden, Apopka, Clermont, and Dr. Phillips all of which are fine upcoming suburbs of Orlando.

Good luck with your future endeavors!

LIVING IN ORLANDO:

If you are going to buy an existing home understand that the asking price is just the starting point. Unlike other markets, however, you will negotiate up from the asking price. If you are going to have a home built it will be a minimum of a 1 year wait right now. There is high demand and low supply. Most builders have a lottery system. Some lotteries send out an e-mail notice to the folks on their list, and the first people to respond get the lots. Other builders will release lots once a month and you must be at the named location at the named time and date for the lottery. Basically with this second type of lottery they draw names out of a hat.

I bought east of Orlando just south of Oveido. My schools are A and B rated, but with the exponential growth occuring here I don't expect my kids will go to the middle and high school that are currently in my district.

I'm moving from the midwest so I am getting more home for less money than what I paid for in the midwest, but it wasn't as cheap as I had thought it would be. With all the upgrades, lot premiums, etc. I pad over $300K for 1800 sq. ft.

Winter Springs and Seminole County as a whole have great schools, but Brevard County has higher rated schools. Orange County schools aren't rated as high, but they are rapidly improving.

Most of the folks I work with came to the east side of MCO to avoid having to use I-4. 408, 417, and 528 are convient roads to use as a reference for looking for communities.

BALTIMORE:

I grew up in Severna Park. I love MD and wish the wife would move there. Yes it gets cold, but for the most part the winter is mild. April, May, and early June are awesome. July and August are the muggiest, but the Fall is long and mild. It won't get really cold until right after Christmas, and you're out of it for the most part by mid to late March. It's a great area to live in. Baltimore, Annaplois, and DC make a great triangle of culture, food, and fun. There are plenty of good schools, good bars and restaurants, and excellent sailing.

I hope some of this helps,
4lowed

CF34-3B1 said:
Excellent news.

Thanks for the reply!

It's ever changing. Two months ago you couldn't buy your way to MCO and everyone was going to MDW. Next month might be strong placements in BWI or wherever. It's all timing. Rest assured your first month will be in OAK.

Plan on 1 month in OAK and 4 months to go anywhere else and the commuting life will be easier to handle because it probably won't be 4 months get anywhere except DAL.

The plus of OAK is you get a line your first month and you can switch it around a bit. I was able to get 22 days off from OAK and then picked up a couple trips out of BWI for 2nd year pay. I thought I would get BWI for month 2 and I'm stuck in MCO on reserve. Just plan on a few months away from home and you won't be so disappointed, as am I.

Commuting sucks and I don't recommend it. You lose a ton of free time and it's very expensive. There are plenty of bases to chose from in great areas of the country. Pick one and you'll be there in no time. However, there are others who have been commuting for years and seem to enjoy it.

Congrats on the job. It's the greatest place to work!!

Last edited:
MDP727 said:
Move 1 hour north to Ocala. Easy drive on the turnpike the whole way.
Some areas in Orlando will take you just as long top drive.
400K in Ocala will buy you a mansion on a couple acres. Or a banging house at Leeward air ranch if you'd like to live in a flyin community.

Good luck buying a home at Leeward for 400K!

That is a small home and small hangar....

Hello--

I have lived in Orlando for 10 or so years.

I presently live in a Condo in Thornton Park and LOVE IT. This is an area where you might actually think you are in a real city. You don't need a car, as everything is walking distance. This area is more apt for people who miss living in the more civilized parts of the country...like the NE corridor or California. Look in the area around Central and Eola....400 could get you a very nice condo...

I lived for 6 years in Sweetwater...it is excellent. Mature trees, excellent schools (Lake Brantley, for ex), and 400 will get you a nice house. That is more if you are into the suburbia, picket fences and kids kind of thing.

The city itself is getting better...less and less a retrograde backwater and more worldly.

PM me and I'll be glad to give you more pointers.

Welcome. Congratulations on the job. That is awesome.

Cardenal

Two things to think about when considering a move to FL. One is property taxes. I'm not sure about MCO, but in South FL property taxes run 2% of your purchase price. If you buy for 400K, expect a tax bill of $8000.00 per year. Now if you homestead the property you get a 25K exemption and you lock into the FL save our homes law which limits your taxable value by 3% per year. Next is homeowner ins. Because of our exposure to hurricanes expect to pay through the roof for windstorm insurance. MCO was exposed to three storms last year so expect double digit increases in your insurance. Pre Andrew I paid $450.00 per year for windstorm now I'm facing 2000+ for a lot less coverage. Welcome to Florida.

Latest resources

Back