• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Super Bowl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We're not going, but even without any weather issues it'll be a cluster fk. Just ona distance, DET is the closest to downtown. But they have woefully inadequate space for parking so expect that airport to fill up really quick. Ditto for PTK on the same issues.

DTW and Willow Run are going to have more parking available, but a pretty good hikes from down town.

Can't imagine what it's gonna be like if it's snowing all day. Yikes!

It isn't much more than 30 minutes or so to downtown from yip or dtw (especially dtw). Granted, game-day traffic will probably add a little time.

If I was picking....

My first choice would be Detroit Metro (about 30 minutes from Ford Field), Detroit Willow Run and Oakland Pontiac next (about 45 minutes away) and Detroit City last. If you fly into Windsor, you will have to deal with Customs, but no TFR restrictions.....

I would avoid KDET like the plague that it is. The facilities and service are almost as bad as the neighborhoods that surround it.:puke:

sydeseet said:
I would avoid KDET like the plague that it is. The facilities and service are almost as bad as the neighborhoods that surround it.:puke:

That's no kidding. That's the one airport I will not leave at night to go to dinner. Pretty rough neck of the woods. I'd probably stick with DTW..

Spooky 1 said:
Anyone out there going to the Super Bowl and if so, what airport?

Yep. Yip. ;) TC

Already here, I'd go to airports in this order: DTW, PTK, YIP, and DET.

Space at PTK is limited depending on which FBO you park at. Pentastar and ADI have lots of room. Michigan Aviation has a medium size ramp, and PAC and Aviation Station have NO room. PAC does have a nice pilot lounge though. Oakland Air usually opens up a second ramp (as they did during the Ryder Cup) so they have significantly more space than would normally be available if you went down P taxiway. PTK seems to have the best ground support in the area.

DTW has plenty of space, and you'll likely get in and out faster. YIP isn't space limited (if they move the old USA-Jet planes out of the way), but can be tricky to navigate the roads.

I've been to DET who knows how many times, and they are supposed to be operating out of the old Airline Terminal for the Superbowl. I was there 2 weeks ago and they were still not switched over. They'll have a lot more ramp space if they open up at the Terminal, and you can't beat proximity to Ford Field. If they get the terminal open, I might go there.

On another note, Kwame is planning a 3 day "party"(round 'em up and lock 'em in) for the homeless folks in the city, so expect less pan-handling for the big weekend.

If you're around for a few days, check out the Winter Blast and send me a PM, I'll send you to some good eats.

Toledo is close,(about an hour, no traffic) your going to be stuck in game traffic from YIP or DTW

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back