"Suitable Airport" vs. "Usable Airport"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

onthebeach

Can somebody point me to a reference (preferably a link) that defines "suitable airport" and "usable airport?" Thanks.

I don't have a link, but can relate a story told to me by my father. He's a retired Air Force pilot, so take it for what it's worth to you.

He was on a training mission in a T-33. His IP simulated an engine failure over Carswell AFB, TX (now NAS Ft. Worth/Carswell Field). The IP wanted to see him spiral down to a simulated dead stick landing at Carswell. Instead, my father pointed the nose toward the home field (Waco?), well to the south. His IP yelled at him wanting to know what he was doing.

My father's response was if everything the instructors taught in ground school was accurate, the airplane's home base was well within glide range and said the home field, with appropriate maintenance for that airplane was more suitable than Carswell. The IP let him try it and it worked.

My father's experience of suitable vs. usable is the best illustration I know of.

Fly safe!

You might be referring to suitable vs. adequate.

(1) Adequate.

An adequate airport is an airport certified as an FAR Part is 139 airport or is found to be equivalent to FAR Part 139 safety requirements.

(2) Suitable.

A suitable airport is an adequate airport with weather reports, or forecasts, or any combination thereof, indicating that the weather conditions are at or above operating minima, as specified in the operation specifications, and the field condition reports indicate that a safe landing can be accomplished at the time of the intended operation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back