Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
This has been simmering over the past 10 days.

On New Years morning I was outside my house taking something out of my car, I heard the wonderful sound of a J-3 Cub, but something was wrong, it was loud and moving fast. So my ears lead my eyes accross the street and low and behold I see a Yellow Cub over the beach maybe 50-100 ft. My jaw dropped.

Not only did this guy violate several FARs, and a local law, but possibly severly damaging people opinions of general aviation, for what? Showing off?

The weather was VFR, on the edge of the surface section of Class C airspace.

Why are people doing stupid and dangerous things like this, that can hazard our freedom to fly?

Now I haven't reported this to the FSDO, not my style, though some of the locals may have.

What reg did he break???

You said he/she was across the street over the beach... So he/she was most likely over the "open water"... maybe not far off shore, but none the less, off shore... well take a look at 91.119...

Sec. 91.119

Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

I'm not saying what he/she did was smart, just saying that it is very likely he/she didn't actually violate any FAR's...

Based on where I saw him I would say that he was definately in violation of 91.119(c) and possibly in violation of 91.119(b) & 91.130 (I don't know of any controllers that would clear someone to 50-100'). Finally there is the catch all 91.13.

He was in violation of a town ordanice that prohibits flight over the town limits below 1000' AGL.

Curious

ShawnC said:

He was in violation of a town ordanice that prohibits flight over the town limits below 1000' AGL.

Has anyone ever legally challenged that ordinance, that you know of? Just wondering.

Re: Curious

greg20 said:
Has anyone ever legally challenged that ordinance, that you know of? Just wondering.

Not that I know of, but I doubt that it would be able to stick if you have a good aviation attroney, something about federal juristication of aviation, and police that aren't equiped to measure the crime.

Though the punishiment is $500 or 60 days in jail. Not really something to worry about.

Though I have seen on several occasions of aircraft below 1000' AGL over flying the town in the past month, but none so blatent as this guy.

Not so much that I want this guy caught by the FAA or anyone else, just it's important for us to empress on the other pilots not to pull such stunts because it hurts aviation for all of us.

Loosen Up that Sphincter Old Boy

Buzzing open water endangers the pilot and any passengers. Violation of FARs, most likely not.

Seems you have a bright future awaiting you as an ASI for the FAA. You can apply on their website...

Re: Loosen Up that Sphincter Old Boy

bart said:
Buzzing open water endangers the pilot and any passengers. Violation of FARs, most likely not.

it wouldn't be too dangerous if he was within gliding distance of shore, which is fairly likely the way i interpreted the post... and even more likely if he was going fast

Hmm...

"I heard the wonderful sound of a J-3 Cub, but something was wrong, it was loud and moving fast. "

A cub moving FAST?! Then there definitely WAS something wrong! ;)

Re: Hmm...

hobbsmeter said:
"I heard the wonderful sound of a J-3 Cub, but something was wrong, it was loud and moving fast. "

A cub moving FAST?! Then there definitely WAS something wrong! ;)

Well it was a Cub after all so it wasn't moving fast but the sound of it wasn't the omnidirectional sound you normally hear for an aircraft at altitude.

Now his only choice for a landing area would have been the busy beach below him (which may not have been a choice, some houses have sea walls that blocks the beach), or on a house.

Now bart, I'm not so concerned about the violation of FARs, but so much for the damage to GAs public apperence with all the blue hairs that are on the beach.

I recently joined AOPA because of the negative image that some have about GA, but they can't do it all for us. We need to improve people opinions, and one way would be is to try to prevent people from pulling stunts like these in front of people.

And bart if you want to argue the FARs, I would galdly pull out the book and go over it with you. It's nice to keep sharp on them, it makes new ratings and BFRs easier.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back