Stay at SWA or go to UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
go to the ups interview.

I would take UPS over Southwest. But I do believe that both are in the top three, best airline pilot jobs right now, and probably forever.

Freight is growing by leaps and bounds, while the passenger carriers have to slug it out here in the states with the Skybusses of the world. Southwest will win, to be sure, but still, I would rather fly freight I think.

The QOL at the passenger carriers will continue to go down, while the QOL at UPS and FEDEX will be great if you can handle that life.

The legacies will all merge into three: AA, UAL (CAL), DAL (NWA). Southwest will continue to put a hurt on these three, while UPS and FedEx make piles and piles on money carrying boxes.

I hope to be at UPS or FedEx soon.

Yea a lot of pilots felt the same way leaving UPS and FedEx for DAL and AAL back in 1999 and 2000, 5 years later they knew they made the wrong decision.

Go run as fast as you can. It is much more fun flying with UPS pilots. Its even better working for a company that is 50% management pilots so they have a built in strike breaking group on the property.

You think that it is good to be in conditions such that management pilots can usurp the solidarity of the IPA?

I guess that you're management....or at least aspire to be.
:smash:

Yea a lot of pilots felt the same way leaving UPS and FedEx for DAL and AAL back in 1999 and 2000, 5 years later they knew they made the wrong decision.

Pilotyip I can agree with your statements. It seemed only a few short years ago that many where leaving for the dream jobs. Hey it was just a few short years ago. It will change again.

Ups

Stay at SWA or go to UPS
I have very little time at SWA and offered UPS interview. If hired what do you think

Lowpayisgreat -

I was in your shoes not too long ago, however my dilemma was quite the opposite to yours; I was finishing ioe at UPS when SWA called me for an interview. I’d been trying to get hired with UPS for so many years that I didn’t really think much about it; however I was surprised to hear from SWA since I still have no 737 type and it had been at least a year since my last online application update. Who knows, if I interviewed maybe they’d have hired me or maybe they wouldn’t? I do realize how lucky I was to even be in the position I was in; of course, it took me many, many years to get an interview with UPS.

Nevertheless, I’ve always dreamed of international flying so I wasn’t even thinking about switching back to domestic flying. SWA schedules wouldn’t really bother me as those were the schedules I was flying at my previous job. Some other things that made my decision even easier was the A and B plan at UPS which I think is far greater than a “promise” of a profit sharing – even though I know it has a good record. Still, in my mind it’s better when you know the exact dollar figure going into your Fidelity account every year as opposed to a profit sharing plan. Another “minor” reason, even though it really wasn’t that important, was the fact I’d become a guppy-driver for years to come – no offense, but I had about 2 years worth of guppy-flying under my belt and for some reason I found the airplane sort of docile and boring…I know it sounds stupid to even worry about that as a pilot, and it wasn’t a deal breaker by no means, but it just added another plus for choosing UPS.

So far I’m very happy with the decision I made and I hope I’ll feel the same way 25/30/35… years from now (depending on the retirement age at the time :))

Regardless, both airlines are great companies to work for and I decided to stick with the one I think will make me happier. Good luck with your decision. Btw, if you choose UPS – you’ll have to change your screen name to greatpayisgreat! :) (of course, I know swa pays well too)

Benhuntn - Go run as fast as you can. It is much more fun flying with UPS pilots. Its even better working for a company that is 50% management pilots so they have a built in strike breaking group on the property

Huh? 50%??? Do you know something we don’t?

If you leave SWA for UPS, be prepared for a corporate culture shock.

Google - You are exaggerating, I left a lcc for UPS – it ain’t that much different, you do your thing and you go home, that’s all. Also, aren't you a world guy? My buds there tell me working and training there was a major culture shock to them. I guess everything is relative.

Last edited:
UPS vs SWA

I'm with you now and I'm sure we'd hate to lose you. But, I'd go to the interview and crunch the numbers. It IS a different place. I have a few friends that work there and they ARE happy. Time to upgrade is important and also I'm not up to speed on their commuting policy as all my buds are in SDF.

We'll eventually go international and obviously with larger equipment. That's where all the low hanging fruit is. Kelly just needs to be nudged in the correct direction and to abandon his fantasies of codesharing with ATA.

I've got almost 8 under my belt and I'm quite happy. I've done the international gig and I did enjoy it but I don't miss it. Also used to be a freight dawg. I don't know if you remember the rumours about us doing freight with the old 300's they are retiring. I was flying with another fellow ex-freight dawg (maybe you). I told him that it was like an ex-girlfriend had just called you up. For a moment you got a nice warm fuzzy feeling until you rememberd why she was an ex.

Let us know how it works out.

RWAV

Kelly just needs to be nudged in the correct direction and to abandon his fantasies of codesharing with ATA.

Why is it a fantasy?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back