Stapleton Memories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SSDD

I was driving into Denver a couple of days ago and noticed that the old Stapleton tower is still standing. Does anybody know why? Is it being used for other purposes. like maybe firefighter training?

Thanks

It was saved, the rest was not. da*m mayor Webb and Denver anyways. Now its becoming another f**king development in the bad part of Denver. Go figure.

I remember that the employee cafeteria at DEN was responsible for a number of poopie drawers with fellow crewmates...

Nu

SSDD said:
I was driving into Denver a couple of days ago and noticed that the old Stapleton tower is still standing.

Good! My father was a controller there before it closed. As a kid, I can remember many nights spent up in that tower cab with my eyes glued to a pair binoculars. I used to love going on midnight shifts with him during the summers. Lots of memories.

i've always wanted to buy it and turn it into a home. the cab would be a cool bedroom. unfortunetly, it is not for sale.

pilot error said:
i've always wanted to buy it and turn it into a home. the cab would be a cool bedroom. unfortunetly, it is not for sale.

now that would be a kickass home...

I've seen some of these 727 "houses", but man...a tower...that'd be the shwag dilly...

NuGuy said:
I remember that the employee cafeteria at DEN was responsible for a number of poopie drawers with fellow crewmates...

Nu

It never got to me. I actually miss the "pit".

I don't miss sitting number thirty five in the penalty box and watching the snow blow by.

My favorite Stapleton memory would be collecting those bag carts on my way from the bull pen over to the main terminal. If you found enough, you'd get enough money to buy one of the employee special root beer floats at the ice cream parlor. Coming in a close second would be arriving to the west, coming down final at about two-twenty and receiving this clearance: "AirShuttle 11, cleared to land 26L, do NOT pass the United 757 going to the right".

enigma

Stapleton was a great airport, if for nothing else just the memories it gave me as an impressionable kid. My parents used to take my bro and I over to the perimeter fence as the jets were landing. Eventually security would come by and kick everyone out, but man it sure was a cool thing to see when you're a kid.

Latest resources

Back