Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ProFracPilot

What's it doing now?
In two separate instances while executing a visual approach to a tower controlled airport (IFR flight plan, did not cancel), I've had to do a go-around. The local controller told us to "squawk 1200". In the first instance, I was PF. The PM did not get to the new squawk code quickly enough for the controller's liking (KSDM) and he was obviously uptight about it. The 2nd time was at FXE. I was PM and got to it shortly after it was called for (remembering the uptight SDM controller). But frankly on a go-around (large turbojet) the first few seconds are about continuing to watch for traffic (usually the guy you're wanting to miss) while configuring the airplane for the go-around. In both cases we were able to maintain visual and fly a pattern back to the runway.

My question is this: Why is it so important to get the transponder squawking 1200 when I'm still on an IFR flight plan?

In two separate instances while executing a visual approach to a tower controlled airport (IFR flight plan, did not cancel), I've had to do a go-around. The local controller told us to "squawk 1200". In the first instance, I was PF. The PM did not get to the new squawk code quickly enough for the controller's liking (KSDM) and he was obviously uptight about it. The 2nd time was at FXE. I was PM and got to it shortly after it was called for (remembering the uptight SDM controller). But frankly on a go-around (large turbojet) the first few seconds are about continuing to watch for traffic (usually the guy you're wanting to miss) while configuring the airplane for the go-around. In both cases we were able to maintain visual and fly a pattern back to the runway.

My question is this: Why is it so important to get the transponder squawking 1200 when I'm still on an IFR flight plan?

As a former controller prior to becoming a pilot, I've never heard of such a thing. As far as not doing it quick enough for the controller, screw him, your job is to fly the aircraft first and get to the "minor" BS (such as changing codes) later. We all know how busy a go-around can be. Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for controllers, since I use to be one, but never, never let a controller "fly" your aircraft for you!!!

Both of those airports are VFR-type towers. They most prbably have a letter of agreement with whichever approach control handles the airspace overlying their area. My bet (as is with PDK and SFB - both VFR Towers where I have worked), that if an IFR goes around it must be coordinated with that other facility. If they have any other IFRs already inbound, you'll get vectored back out for another sequence. In an effort to save the pilot sometimes a 20+ mile additional resequencing flight, we would simply tell the aicraft that went around to squawk standby (which you cannot do in these days post 9-11 as easily anymore, probably why they're asking you to squawk VFR instead), and plan to keep you in the VFR pattern closer in while we provided the visual separation with other inbds by seeing both of you and talking to at least one of you (we can do this without telling you legally), rather than sending you back out for resequencing with the approach facility. This kind of beats the system and attempts to provide you better service. Just a guess, but maybe it'll explain the code change.
As for not doing it quick enough, fly your airplane first. Do not let a controller bully you into doing sometinmg unsafe!

Last edited:
Both of those airports are VFR-type towers. They most prbably have a letter of agreement with whichever approach control handles the airspace overlying their area. My bet (as is with PDK and SFB - both VFR Towers where I have worked), that if an IFR goes around it must be coordinated with that other facility. If they have any other IFRs already inbound, you'll get vectored back out for another sequence. In an effort to save the pilot sometimes a 20+ mile additional resequencing flight, we would simply tell the aicraft that went around to squawk standby (which you cannot do in these days post 9-11 as easily anymore, probably why they're asking you to squawk VFR instead), and plan to keep you in the VFR pattern closer in while we provided the visual separation with other inbds by seeing both of you and talking to at least one of you (we can do this without telling you legally), rather than sending you back out for resequencing with the approach facility. This kind of beats the system and attempts to provide you better service. Just a guess, but maybe it'll explain the code change.
As for not doing it quick enough, fly your airplane first. Do not let a controller bully you into doing sometinmg unsafe!

Thanks for your insight. This appears to be a reasonable explanation. As far as flying the airplane first, not a problem on my flight deck. :D

We used to do this all the time at my old facility which was VFR. Reason being you crossed the threshold....only 1 IFR in the airspace at a time unless the controllers can apply visual. Also if they had to send you around and you were IFR would you prefer to have gone missed and handed off to be sequenced back onto a 5 mile final or just hit the traffic pattern quick? We used to send lears or gulfstreams around all the time and we would say make right closed traffic squawk VFR. Reason. Another IFR was on an approach, or on final and we didn't feel like shipping you back to approach or center to get you resequenced. It saves time, coordination, and fuel and money. If you don't want to get put in the pattern and on the ground 2 mins later, and feel the need to stay on your xpdr code fine, then we have to turn the other plane that is IFR out of the airspace, ship you off to departure....see you in 15 minutes......Is this a big deal?

Even under a visual approach and subsquent go around your are still under a IFR flight plan and don't have to adhere to airspace requirements (like class B) Wouldn't squawking 1200 mean that you are now VFR?

The point is, you were no longer on a IFR flight plan, a visual approach is a VFR manuever in conjunction with an IFR flight plan, think of it as canceling IFR, at some locations you will be asked to squawk VFR prior to landing.

The point is, you were no longer on a IFR flight plan, a visual approach is a VFR manuever ... think of it as canceling IFR

No, it isn't at all the same as canceling IFR. From the 7110.65:

7-4-1. VISUAL APPROACH
A visual approach is an ATC authorization for an aircraft on an IFR flight plan to proceed visually to the airport of intended landing; it is not an instrument approach procedure. Also, there is no missed approach segment. An aircraft unable to complete a visual approach shall be handled as any go-around and appropriate separation must be provided.

If I were VFR, I'd have to be 500 feet under the clouds in all but Class G airspace, for example. That isn't the case for a visual approach.

... at some locations you will be asked to squawk VFR prior to landing.
That's because radar service is terminated, not because you're no longer operating under IFR.

AIM 5-5-11(a)(6):

Be aware that radar service is automatically terminated, without being advised by ATC, when the pilot is instructed to change to advisory frequency...

Latest resources

Back