• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit and fuel hedging

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would look at the 9 dollar fare as real frightening, not a sign of good management.

50% is way too far fetched...and I'll agree with you on poor management. Critter may have been drinking the kool-aid for sure.

. I think we can all agree that with the amount of facts that we have been presented from the higher ups, the fuel prices in the paperwork are prob. not what we are paying.

Fuel hedging doesn't mean you pay less for fuel.

Southwest invests in heating oil. When the price of heating oil goes up they sell their investment in heating oil (just like stock). They never actually see the oil. They just buy and sell contracts for oil.

When southwest goes to the pump they pay the same as everyone else.

Here is a good research paper on fuel hedging:
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/fimrc/papers/jet_fuel.pdf

Last edited:
Haven't drank the coolaid, keeping plan B well alive, just a hunch that we are better off then they want us to believe. When was the last time we were told the truth and they were'nt playing childhood games with us.

Usually, really cheap fares like the 9 dollar one are not signs of good managment, but extreme desperation.

I would look at the 9 dollar fare as real frightening, not a sign of good management.

Cheers
Wino

it's not like we have a plane with 144 people paying 9 bucks a piece..

the $9 fares and multitude of other bizzare internet sales are a marketing gimmick that bodes people into navigating our confusing website in the hopes of matching up their travel plans with the particular dates and flights which there are the $9 seats

it's a lot like vegas where people keep coming back, even after getting screwed, hoping that this time they will come out ahead....

meanwhile the same bag and drink fees that were to have sent our bus station pax scrambling a year ago are now being mirrored by the legacies..

strange times we find ourselves in

Second, marketing strategies such as idiotic 9 dollar fares are costing 242 possible furloughs.

Pilots are idiots. (yes that includes me)

Marketing strategies are intended to put buts in seats at a profit. $9 fares fill seats that would otherwise remain unsold. Look at it this way, a seat sold for $9 is $9 more than you would make if you closed the door with the seat empty.

AA started "yield management" and they also have fare sales. NK uses the same strategy. So does WN. It's called chasing dollars in a down market and I for one and glad that BB found a way to get $9 more than the next guy.

You should also be happy. Jake Shore would have closed the doors long ago; BB and BB and their screwy marketing have provided the paychecks.

If you haven't noticed, the entire nation is hurting, so why do think that the airlines would be any different.

Maybe you should be supporting the "drill here, drill now" campaign instead of spouting off on the internet.

Dont be so sure that the 9 dollars was a net gain. Remember its weight and you got to buy fuel to haul the weight.

Using the old 10 percent rule for tankering fuel (it costs 10 percent of the fuel to carry it) a 200 lb passenger will increase your fuel burn by 20 lbs. call it 4 dollars a gallon for jet fuel at 7 lbs per gallon and it costs 12 dollars in gas to haul that 9 dollar pax.

But I guess they will make it up in volume!

Pull up a flight plan and plug in heavier weights and see what it does to your burn...

Cheers
Wino

It probably wasn't a net gain in that context. The $9 fare is a marketing tool.

Rather than spending thousands of dollars on billboards or newspaper ads, the $9 fare draws attention to Spirits service in a particular market.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back