• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Space Shuttle....????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Am I the only one--outside of NASA and the astronauts' families--who feels like crap about this? Is there something wrong with me?

(P.S. I read the Iraqi statement "celebrating" the loss of OV-102 and its crew. Is it time to bomb these f_ckers yet?) [/B][/QUOTE]

Dude, I'm pretty crushed too. IMHO, the Shuttle program represents greatest goodness of mankind. For anyone to take pleasure in the loss of a shuttle crew is just a concept that I cannot understand.

Last edited:
uwochris said:
My dad was watching it on CNN while I was in a nearby room studying... he told me some witness phoned in, called Dan Rather a jerk, and then hung up, as a prank call.

Did anyone else catch this?

Prayers to all.

was watching when this happened. Some a$$hole heartless fellow american called up around 10am est to say parts of shuttle had landed in his field. (when he gave city in texas (cant remember) i knew was fake because of location.) This a$$hole told Dan Rather "yeah it landed in my field and people are all around it, its some sort of metal, blah, blah , blah, (and then real loud) it looks like (one of the astrounats name) TEETH". at this point he was cut off but a few seconds later (im sure by mistake) was put back on and said" Rather your an idiot!".
I must say I was disaspionted that within an hour of this tradegy we had some fellow A$$hole American try to poke fun at human loss. He is the kind of guy that I hope Lighting strikes him on a clear day. RIP hero's of STS 107.......

Last edited:
Godspeed

ArcticFlier said:
Apollo 1

Virgil Grissom
Roger Chaffee
Edward White

Challenger

Francis Scobee
Michael Smith
Judith Resnick
Ronald McNair
Ellison Onizuka
Gregory Jarvis
Christa McAuliffe

Columbia

Rick Husband
William McCool
Kalpana Chawla
Laurel Clark
David Brown
Michael Anderson
Ilan Ramon

AF:(

Thanks Artic Flier

Thoughts and prayers for these great men and women and their families.

Mission Commander Husband

Just so you know, Mission Commander Husband had a brother who flies for AWA. In fact, my roommate (AWA FA) said that he was at KSC awaiting Columbia's arrival.

bunnyfufu wrote:

" 'In 42 years of human space flight, NASA has never lost a space crew during landing or the ride back to orbit." - cnn

is the soviet union NASA? no? then stop with the anti-american crap."

Chill out. How on earth do you come to the conclusion what I wrote was anti-american?! CNN was hardly the only source for news yesterday, and SEVERAL television stations reported that in all manned flight there has never been a problem during re-entry, not specifying NASA flights only.

Holy sh_t!

Guys...right before my F/O and I saw Columbia come down, I looked down and to my left and saw a large power plant at the north end of a lake. I pulled out an NOS chart I carry with me these days; I got tired of not knowing "what river is that down there" when passengers asked. Anyway, I saw that the power plant I was looking at was on the Toledo Bend Reservoir.

Now, this morning, I click on the news, and I see that the Shuttle's trajectory took the debris right over the Toledo Bend Reservoir.

Jesus!

If we'd been fifteen miles further south...

There was another CRJ two thousand feet above and a couple miles behind us when it happened...and there were some other flights in the are too. I've got a hunch nobody got a better look at Columbia's last few seconds than all of us did. If NASA has any precision long-range imagery, they're not showing it yet.

Last edited:
If NASA has any precision long-range imagery, they're not showing it yet.

Someone said that there is imagery from several military spy satellites, most of which we may never see.

Yesterday, I sat in front of the TV, scanning for information, from the time I got up at 10:15 EST. I recalled a recent visit to the Space Center in Florida, during a layover. They have a rocket engine on display where the bus stops, in sight of 39A. It was once used on Columbia, one of no doubt many engines used to power the shuttle. I have no idea how many cycles constitute a life for an engine. You should see it if you get the chance. It's made by Boeing.

A few weeks ago, I took some pax down to PBI, and was vectored around the restricted area on my way in due to an impending launch. Shuttle launches have become so routine that I hadn't heard a launch would be happening. Clearly, space exploration had passed below the media horizon, no longer exciting enough to pay more than a cursory nod to the flights from the cape.

As I copied my next clearance, I overheard some discussion about the proposed liftoff time, and I stood next the the plane waiting for any sign of the launch. I had never seen a launch in person, being from the northeast. Finally, I caught a glimpse of the contrail as the shuttle arced upward, quicky passing behind the broken layer from my vantage point.

I didn't realize at the time that the shutle was Columbia.

Goodbye to you, intrepid explorers.

I hope you have heard the words "Well done, good and faithful servants".

Timebuilder said:
Yesterday, I sat in front of the TV, scanning for information, from the time I got up at 10:15 EST. I recalled a recent visit to the Space Center in Florida, during a layover. They have a rocket engine on display where the bus stops, in sight of 39A. It was once used on Columbia, one of no doubt many engines used to power the shuttle. I have no idea how many cycles constitute a life for an engine. You should see it if you get the chance. It's made by Boeing.

I was there too, and took pictures of Columbia awaiting launch and of the engine on display. I ran out of film there and it was like $8 per roll in the gift shop and I didn't get more. If only I had known...

Anyway, to answer "how many cycles constitute a life for an engine." One. The engines are only used once.

Latest resources

Back