• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest nightmare

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had a friend get "hired" at Northwest a few years ago with the same infraction. His was settled in court and told case dismissed. He did not put it on his app and NWA later found it and recinded the job offer 6 days before ground school.

Canyonblue:

If the case was dismissed that means there is no record of it; that it never happened. Only one of two things can happen. You are found guilty or you are found not guilty (either during trial, or case dismissed, etc). I am told that a record of arrests is kept; maybe that was on his record even though the conviction wasn't. Bottomline is, however, that this was thrown out of court and he was found to be not guilty.

I've been found not guilty of traffic tickets during a court trial and there's no record kept; I never heard anything more about it.

Background check

This stinks. For some reason, most airlines don't feel they need to tell you why you were not hired (yes it would be a lot of work).

Driving record history varies by state. The national driving record does not contain speeding violations, just big things: DUI, etc.

It is smart to do as much of a background check on yourself as you can prior to interviewing...prior to applying. A good place to get started is totheairlines.iwarp.com and click on Background Check top left corner. This will cover about everything. Criminal background checks are more difficult, but you can find places on the web that will do them.

The problem may be a reference. Who knows. Talk to your references?

Good luck,
See

i just read through this thread and it scared the crap out of me. coincidentally, im in the process of having a background check done on myself for just this reason. $99 bucks through AEPS on their website. the folks in the office there are great. i thought i would send them the cash and a month or so later get a report in the mail. not so; they have been calling me weekly to keep me updated on their progress and have also informed me of a parking ticket for $30 ive owed to vermont since 1984. ask for lorraine. i should have done it years ago.

This may be an urban legend, but I have heard of people getting black listed before. Can you think of anyone that you might have burned a bridge with that works at SWA?
Either way best of luck to you.

RJones,

A little off the point, but you said you had a system malfunction that injured the Co-Pilot. What malfunctioned and injured the Co-Pilot?

Skyking328,

I don't think that the list you are speaking of is a urban legend. I've heard it from some "SWA" folks also. I don't think that the purpose of the list is so much of a "black list" as it is a chance for folks to put in their input on who is interviewing in the near future. I suppose that negative feedback from an employee would not help the cause though.

I think that the thing everyone needs to learn from this is that SWA or any other airline WILL find out if you omit something on the application. I've known many people (myself included) who have had to explain things in interviews that they would have rather avoided like the plague. The bottom line here is that SWA hires real people. Own up to your mistake, march in there and tell them about it if they ask! If you prepare yourself for the question it will give you an excellent opportunity to show them that you can accept the consequences of your actions, and they will respect the fact that you owned up to something that you could have tried to avoid.

Anyway, just another worthless 2 cents!!

S.B.

Simon Says,

The report says a system malfunction, however, I'm not sure what you'd call it.

At FL190 the crew hatch window blew out and partially sucked out my co-pilot, I grabbed him, pulled him in and did an emer descent to a landing.

RJ

Background check

Holy Carrumba!

These Internet bulletin boards really are a great source of information.

I too, like Falcondriver, after reading these threads, immediately started a background check with AEPS. I suddenly remembered ripping up a speeding ticket or two. So Falcondriver, if you work for AEPS, good job, it worked.

If any skeletons are turned up, then the time spent reading these posts will be well worth it.

Then again...does Truck Masters care about speeding tickets?

Latest resources

Back