Southwest Interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

Does anyone know how many interviews per month SWA will have once they begin? Of the roughly 3000 apps on file and 1000 with types, how many will actually be called for an interview? Also, what does WN mean in relation to SWA?

I don't know how many they will interview each month but we were told by a PHX Asst. Chief last week that they plan to hire 400-500 for at least the next five years. The goal is to double the pilot force by 2012. Online application process will begin in February and those with apps on file will have access to the new app a couple of weeks before it is officially introduced. I was also told that the rumor of a FedEx type of interview was considered but in the end was voted down due to cost and complication. Of course, the applicants will now be awarded points based on qualifications and that's how interviewees will selected. No new base for next year. I got the idea that LAS would be the base when they finally open one. Interesting times ahead. Best of luck to all!

Red

I heard from someone on here that seemed to have good info, maybe Chase or Rob Beeks, that they interview about 150 a month when they do interview. I think they also said they interview for the first 3 weeks, then the hiring decision committee does their thing during the the last week.

RedC5Guy said:
. Of course, the applicants will now be awarded points based on qualifications and that's how interviewees will selected.
Red

So someone who submits a new app for the first time who is more qualified goes higher up on the stack than someone who's had their app in for years?

That is the way I understand it. The more points you score the more qualified you are and the sooner you interview. No more interviewing everyone in the order your app was received.

Red

qualifications and points

So does anyone have any idea what some of these "qualifications" are and how many points they are worth?

What's determined from an application

If you were to look at someone's resume that would work for you (forget SWA for now), what would you look at and how much would it be worth(great question right?)
In no particular order...and there are probably others
1. education
2. type of flying experience TT, Turb PIC time, Jet PIC, Part 121,135, military, CRM experience, ...
3. type of training
4. Captain experience
5. leadership in the cockpit (progression?upgrades?)
6. leadership outside flying
7. currency
8. type rated (B737?)
9. when did he initially applied (some people have said that SWA will "give you points for this"
10. teamwork oriented, experience in teamwork
11. customer service oriented

Other than upgrading or getting a type rating, there is probably little that you can do to improve your qualifications. The only sign that you will probably get is a "feel" for which people are being called when interviews resume. However, are you going to know why them and not you? That will be difficult. It may not be as easy as looking on the left side of the screen. Might as well spend you valuable time studying and prepping for your interview. Your competition will sure be doing that.

Last edited:
From what a Chief Pilot told me those who have their applications on file already will get extra points. What will earn points in the future will change because SWA will be able to change how they weight the points daily if that is what they want. At a minimum the highest points will go to flight time & education.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back