Someone has a choice!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BE58 Driver

That someone is me. I recently got an offer from Chautauqua Airlines to start class. I am furloughed from ACA. That class date would require me to surrender my seniority number there. I am very thankful and excited for a job in a time when there are very few. I liked working at ACA and would love to go back there. I am from Chicago so it would work out great. The problem is that there are no firm plans as to when that might be. I would have to sign the contract at Chautauqua because i am below 2500. I was wondering what you thought I should do. I know everyone hates these, but I could use some other opinions.

A bird in the hand....

Given the outlook for the United carriers, I would go with Chautauqua. You are probably not giving up a lot of seniority (<9 months ?), so you 're not losing much starting again with another airline. Chautauqua's expanding...ACA's not.

Easy buddy

Whoa Whoa Whoa!! buddy!!!
First don't just count out ACA right away if are contract gets affirmed which it most likely will then ACA will actually be hiring. If I were you I would not go to Chic- wa unless you enjoy making $16 and hour flying a jet you made more flying the 41. PSA is offering hiring to ACA guys and you dont have to give up your senority, consider them first for employment!!!!

Well, first; how far down on the recall list are you? 2. How competitive are your times if PSA should decided to hire ACA crews? 3. Do you have enough savings or another job to support you (and family?) while awaiting recall at ACA? Most of these questions you know the answer to. What does your gut say? What are your priorities? Each pilot has his/her own plans and goals. I'm sure you have yours. Do what YOU feel is right for YOU!

Best of luck with your decision.

2000Flyer

You'd sign a training contract but as far as I know, Chitaqua doesn't require senority resignation (know a few DAL pilots that went there)... so if that's the case, can't you bypass recall at ACA until you fulfil your CHQ obligations and then make the choice based on the economy/industry then?

just a thought

From an outsiders point of view,

Chitaqua has contracts with AA, Delta, and USair. Less eggs in one basket. They continue to hire, must be a reason for that. My friend was #4 on the list to start at ACA and they pulled the plug on him, now he is in chitaqua training. They are contining to hire. My suggestion is to cut your losses short and move on. United aint looking so hot these days. Id look into the financial statements and find out what you can about aca contracts. I think chitaqua may have be biding for a united contract as well. Whats senoirity and salary if you dont have job. Its the luck of the drawl.

good luck

Re: Easy buddy

Machdog1 said:
Whoa Whoa Whoa!! buddy!!!
First don't just count out ACA right away if are contract gets affirmed which it most likely will then ACA will actually be hiring. If I were you I would not go to Chic- wa unless you enjoy making $16 and hour flying a jet you made more flying the 41. PSA is offering hiring to ACA guys and you dont have to give up your senority, consider them first for employment!!!!

You might want to check your pay rates-- CHQ pays on the order of $20/hour for 1st year under the old contract (being renegotiated now-- expect lump sums for prior flying when the new contract becomes effective). I don't think that you have to resign your seniority when they hire you.

Chautauqua FO rates

unless you enjoy making $16 and hour

Check your facts, Machdog.

As for PSA, I do not have facts regarding their hiring, however with the U RJ order recently announced, the replacement schedule for the Dorniers and the j4j deal, prudence may dictate a "wait and see" with regard to the status of the guys on the PSA list.

[COPIED FROM USAVIATION.COM. NOT VERIFIED]

"Starting in Oct 03 we lose 2 D328's and will continue to lose those planes at a rate of 2 per month.

Here is what PSA will look like over the coming months if the schedual is adhered to.

Oct03 - 28props, 2jets
Nov03 - 26props, 4jets
Dec03 - 24props, 7jets
Jan04 - 22props, 10jets
Feb04 - 20props, 13jets
Mar04 - 18props, 16jets
Apr04 - 16props, 19jets
May04 - 14props, 23jets
Jun04 - 12props, 27jets
Jul04 - 10props, 31jets
Aug04 - 08props, 35jets
Sep04 - 06props, 39jets
Oct04 - 04props, 43jets
Nov04 - 02props, 46jets
Dec04 - 00props, 49jets
Jan05 - 52jets
Feb05 - 55jets
Mar05 - 58jets
Apr05 - 60jets"

Again without having all the facts, the long term looks good for PSA, but j4j may create issues in the short term for junior PSA guys.

As for CHQ, things are a little weird with the whole contract negotiations/ Freepublic thing.

The end-game is approaching at the negotiation table and there is more and more talk of an impending strike vote.

At the same time, management is proceeding full steam in starting up the Freepublic alter-ego as a j4j carrier staffed 100% with U furloughs whereas on the other hand, U-ALPA is saying it won't staff it.

Interesting times at CHQ, but CHQ is hiring like it's going out of style.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back