SODA for color vision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chuychanga

Anybody else here have a SODA for color vision?

I got mine a couple years ago and the feds told me it should not affect my career. I have since passed Class I and II medicals with no limitations.

I am just now at the point of sending out resumes. I had previously heard that as long as you passed the medical with no limitations that it wouldn't even be asked about. But last night I filled out the online app for Great Lakes and they did ask about the nature of any waivers.

Do any of you guys know anyone who has gotten a job with a SODA?

I've had a waiver (sorry not a SODA) for "defective color vision" since I got my very first medical. I haven't been aware fo any setbacks because of it.
I believe I applied at American (or some place like that) about 5 years ago, and I vaugely recall there being some sort of requirement for "normal color" vision. I can't be 100% sure since I never persued the app.
I have been with 3 different airlines (and had three times as many interviews) over the last 8 years or so and never has it been an issue (other than the aforementioned situation with the American app).
Good luck.

Aren't a SODA and a waiver the same thing?

Mine says SODA at the top, but has a"Waiver #" lower down?

I got it by identifying the red, green, and white light gun at a FSDO.

Yep, ChuyChanga, It's the same. I have one too. That test was a joke, huh.

Yeah, the test was no problem at all. It's just those cards that give me fits. I can see about 3/4 of them.

I can also see all the airport lights just fine. But I have been freaking out about having the waiver while I look for a job. I guess it's not as big a deal as I thought. Looks like you've done okay with it.

By the way, is "grunt" a USMC reference?
Fox, 2/3 '93-'97

SODA

SODA is a Statement Of Demonstrated Ability.

Things have changed. The majors used to be anal big time about people who had SODAs (waivers) on their medicals. Now, I hear that most just care that you have your First. I learned last December while getting my medical that the FAA has relaxed quite a bit on imposing SODAS.

Actually, I had a SODA for the red green defecient. Recently, the medical branch in OKC will remove it from your file as long as you ask them too. Apparently if you pass alternate testing standards, you can get it removed from your medical records. It took about 6 weeks and my ME did it for me.

We had this discussion a very long time ago about if a SODA is a waiver or not. Bobby and I went weeks over this subject. LOL I finally called OKC and got two diffrent answers. I gave up along time ago.

People aregue that it dosent waive anything. True. A SODA by definition is a testing standard by alternate means to comly with the restrictions set forth for someone seeking a medical certificate.

Im not going to get into this again, but I would check into getting it removed if your concerned about it.

Thanks for all the info.

What was the alternate test you took and where did you take it? My ME seems kind of disinterested in it all. He's a crabby old dude and he always just tells me not to worry about it.

Also, once you have it removed, what happens the next time you get a medical and you fail the card test again. Do you still carry the SODA so the doc won't put the limitation on your certificate? Or do you have to go through the alternate test again?

Last edited:
Someone asked the question: "what is a SODA"? It was explained that it stands for Statement of Demonstrated Ability, which is correct. But that doesn't explain what a SODA is.

A S.O.D.A. is an alternate means of testing someone's abilities to satisfy a physiological requirement for an airman's medical certificate. If the pilot can't pass the color vision test at the doctor's office, (as I had trouble doing), the FAA will accept that person's ability to decern different colors via an alternate method, such as by using a light gun signal. All you have to do is to meet an FAA official at the FSDO, have the tower flash the light gun at you, and you tell the FAA official what color the light is, (red, green, or white). Some of us have brains that won't allow us to unscramble those colored dot tests administered at the doctor's office. But if you can tell what color traffic lights are, you will be able to pass the light gun test.

As I understand it, there are also SODAs available for other physiological inabilities, like hearing or visual accuity. If you can demonstrate to the FAA, via alternate testing means, that you can hear and understand a quiet conversation in a quiet room, or read fine print, the FAA will conceed that you can see and/or hear well enough to fly, and thus are entitled to the full privledges of the medical certificate.

QUOTE]What was the alternate test you took and where did you take it? My ME seems kind of disinterested in it all. He's a crabby old dude and he always just tells me not to worry about it. [/QUOTE]

I called the FAA to arrange for the SODA testing. They mailed information to me and directed me to set up the appointment with the local FSDO. I met the FAA official at the FSDO at the appointed date and time. She had a hand held comm with her and notified the tower as to where we were on the field and asked them to flash the light gun at us. We stood 1000' from the tower for one test and then 1500' for a second testing. After the test, the FAA offical handed me a new medical, with the restriction removed. She also handed me a letter from the FAA stating that I had satisfactorilly passed an alternate means of color testing, (this is the SODA). I keep a copy of the SODA in my wallet, along with my license and medical. The original in kept in a file cabinet. It's good for life. From now on, I do not have to take the color accuity test at the ME's office when I go for my medical. When it's time for the color test, I whip out my SODA and we move on to the hearing test.

As for the SODA's effect on employment, I can't comment on that.

Latest resources

Back