• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So, what new procedures from the FAA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
10,000 doing trans pac ops equals 1000 landings/2= 500 personal landings. The average EMB120 F/O will log that many landings in less than a year. Hours do not always provide equal experience.

Asian carriers don't just do transpac routes. Asiana has a heavy presence in Asia, flights from South Korea to China, Singapore, Japan, all in the short-to-medium range.

Although it remains to be seen with the final report, this is a case where technology like the Airbus Alpha Floor forcing TOGA lock would have occured and most likely saved it, as long as it happened above a 100 feet. I'm always ????????? when pilots don't want built in protections in the plane they fly. The way I see it, it's one last resort in case both of us have missed something really badly.

Asian carriers don't just do transpac routes. Asiana has a heavy presence in Asia, flights from South Korea to China, Singapore, Japan, all in the short-to-medium range.
Draw your own conclusions. Just saying time in the approach environment is different than cruise...

Other way around. The FAA has finally realized the problems with over automation and this crash is a perfect example of the eventual results of over automation and the degradation of actual piloting skills associated with it.

Agreed. They actually issued a SAFO back in January to that effect:
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...afety/safo/all_safos/media/2013/SAFO13002.pdf

My carrier has been actively encouraging this since just before the SAFO was issued.

Part of me thinks there will be a knee jerk either by the FAA or ICAO, but so far I think the FAA has done the right thing regarding this issue...just not enough (yet?).
I fear ICAO will respond in a manner that will make matters worse. As someone who undergoes ICAO's Operational "Safety" Audits every two years for my airline (which virtually all worldwide carriers undergo--especially those in the large alliances), I am losing confidence in ICAO's "standards." Seems they focus on the forest without realizing they are amongst trees much of the time.

10,000 doing trans pac ops equals 1000 landings/2= 500 personal landings. The average EMB120 F/O will log that many landings in less than a year. Hours do not always provide equal experience.

Really? Because in a different thread I was told my six landings a day are insufficient and I still haven't paid my dues.

Really? Because in a different thread I was told my six landings a day are insufficient and I still haven't paid my dues.
Dues must be paid, now get back out there, I will tell you when enough is enough!

Next time you are doing one try turning the auto pilot off. Better yet try turning off all of the automation including the flight directer

1 (c) No person may serve as a crew member on an aircraft type they have not previously served as a crew member.
With this logic no airline will be allowed to buy a new type of aircraft, nor will Boeing or Airbus be allowed to build a new aircraft model.

Latest resources

Back