So what did everybody major in?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

QuasarZ

I am a senior going off to college this fall. I am getting a head start and trying to figure out what I want to major in. I dont know if I should Major in aviation and minor in like finance or Major in Finance (or something else, not sure yet) and minor in aviation. Majoring in flying a plane really wont get me far if for some reason I cant fly. I want a good backup if for some reason I can't fly. I also know that I dont want to have a major and hate it for 4 years and not want to do it...
So I am just trying to get some ideas on what others have done and see if I can figure something out!
Thanks for the info

Just get in and out as fast as you can. Fly as much as possible. Make your goal to have a class date before you graduate.

Thats the only way you're going to get ahead in this career. Time is still on your side. Dont blow it.

dude

major in Computer Science or similar, or become a pharmacist

you will make 90k+ a year and basically live whereever you want to and always have a job

go buy a 182 and fly for fun

fu** the airline career

I am really not interested in either of thoughts anyway.. I thinking more along the lines of some type of business. But who knows... I just hope I get a flying job, cause I really dont have the passion for anything but that

QuasarZ said:
I am really not interested in either of thoughts anyway.. I thinking more along the lines of some type of business. But who knows... I just hope I get a flying job, cause I really dont have the passion for anything but that

Do what you love. As a pilot you will never have any money but you can at least wake up every day and enjoy going ot work.

i just graduated from U. of Illinois with a B.S. in Finance, i would recommend it just to broaden your knowledge. besides generic business classes i had to take 3 FIN electives and i went with the basic classes in real estate, insurance and wealth management.

Art major/English minor

siucavflight said:
As a pilot you will never have any money

I hope your kidding. If not, then that is a very misleading statement. Sure, for the first 5 yrs or more you will pay your dues and make crappy pay but if you stick it out, have a positive attitude when the chips are down, keep all your doors open and are willing to relocate you will be able to land a job building that golden Turbine PIC time. After a few years of T-PIC, you will be competitive for careers at SWA, JB, Airtran, UPS, and FedEx. Once you get the interview just bend over backwards to shine and show a positive attitude and you WILL get a long way!! On the otherhand I would agree with Siucavflight about this statement if you have many wives to pay alamony to!!

Last edited:
psysicx said:
Unless your not good at math or science you will never make it in either field.

Well crap, psysicx, sign me up! Those might be the first two fields I've heard of where being "not good" at something is a requirement for success. Your command of the English language is unbelieveable... if I didn't know better I'd swear your real name is George W. Bush!

For what it is worth QuasarZ, I would suggest getting a degree in something other than aviation. Get your flight training on the side. While some require a four-year degree, some don't. But regardless, nobody cares if your degree is in aviation. Get something you can use if you get furloughed or medical out. I have a degree in aviation and I can tell you that it doesn't qualify you to do much outside aviation besides work the fryer at your local Mickey D's.

cc

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back