So much for looking out for the troops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting read Yip.

In the last few months I've had a handful of recently retired Army and recently retired National Guard friends suddenly proclaim the days of staying in the military and retiring are all but over. They say the new plan is to get 4-8 years out of you while you're young, then get you out before you get 'old' and before giving you a pension.
In the early 90's Money magazine did a rating of jobs, and one of the ratings was job security. They rated the military as the lowest in job security. Having been through the post Vietnam draw downs where it was easier to make O-6 that is was O-4, and the pilot promotion rate was 57% from O-3 to O-4, where 5 years earlier it was 99%. Pilots like me being told the only way to stay in was to change designators and become a boat driver. I saw this with almost all of the pilots who flew obsolete airplanes, I flew P-3A's, but I saw Naval Academy Grads who flew F-8's, A-7A's get the same deal. The military response to politics, that is the bottom line.

pilotyip,

I hear what you are saying.

I feel like you sometimes. I was furloughed from my airline job after 9/11. I decided go back in the Air Force, and I have been deploying to the desert ever since. When I talk to young folks about how 9/11 was such a huge part of my generations life, they just look at me with a blank stare. Things don't really hit home unless they happen to you or someone you love.

Since you lived through the post Vietnam draw-down, it resonates with you. For younger people, it does not.

Personally, I would give these guys a 15 year retirement. Giving a retirement to 156 people won't cost the government that much in the big picture.

The younger troops now have time to plan ahead for a second career. The problem with this move is that no one saw it coming.

If you decide to stay in past your initial commitment now, you are fully aware of the chance you are taking.

Overall, the only certain thing in this life is uncertainty.

I'm one of those guys with an uncertain future. My MOS had a 50% selection rate this year to O5. I was not one of the fortunate. For my entire 15 years so far, never thought my retirement option would fade away even if non-selected to O5. Before joining, I remember hearing about civilian jobs and corporate cutbacks, you know the painful story of someone who works their life at company A and is let go 1-2 years before retirement benefits would kick in. So, it is with the military now too. Yes, the US Title 10 says it can happen. Yes, we serve at the pleasure of the government. But, why not keep the faith with the O4 career designated active duty officers. It's been a tradition, (obviously not a guarantee). Several deployments myself, I've paid some dues. Chewed dirt in the fight, etc. What a terrible outcome after all of that. Fingers are crossed that I can make it to retirement.

Bottomline, it has been an honor and privilege to serve. Our military will stay strong. Semper fi!

Since you're not keeping up, the Republicans hold the majority in the House.
They have all been pretty good at yielding a "Peace Dividend" Wilson (D)WWI, Truman (D) WWII, Ike (R) Korea, Nixon/Ford (R) Vietnam, Bush I (R) Cold War. Just depends on who is in office when a conflict ends, Like Kippling "Oh! its Tommy this, and Tommy that, and Tommy how your sole?, but it is Tommy to the bridghead when the drums begin to roll" Relating to the British soldier being a whipping boy in peace time, but the savior and first to see battle when things go badly.

I'm one of those guys with an uncertain future. My MOS had a 50% selection rate this year to O5. I was not one of the fortunate. For my entire 15 years so far, never thought my retirement option would fade away even if non-selected to O5. Before joining, I remember hearing about civilian jobs and corporate cutbacks, you know the painful story of someone who works their life at company A and is let go 1-2 years before retirement benefits would kick in. So, it is with the military now too. Yes, the US Title 10 says it can happen. Yes, we serve at the pleasure of the government. But, why not keep the faith with the O4 career designated active duty officers. It's been a tradition, (obviously not a guarantee). Several deployments myself, I've paid some dues. Chewed dirt in the fight, etc. What a terrible outcome after all of that. Fingers are crossed that I can make it to retirement.

Bottomline, it has been an honor and privilege to serve. Our military will stay strong. Semper fi!

Stay flexible. Bank as much cash as you can; prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Pay off all debt and cut back on all expenses. If you've got a nice car with a big monthly payment, it's time to drive a beater. You'll sleep much better if you have rainy day money.
Get your ATP and put together an airline resume. Get your logbooks in order. This is a mandatory action item for you; too many things can happen and you need a fallback even if you don't plan on flying for an airline.
15 year retirements have been recently authorized by Congress. They aren't being used yet but keep that in mind as a possibility.
Consider looking for Guard/Reserve jobs - all branches and all aircraft types. Don't rule out anything. I think that you can now take an active duty retirement and accept a job in the Reserves.

I enlisted in 1980 and retired in 2010 - AD, Guard, Reserve. I've seen the pendulum swing between shortages and surpluses several times. I'm not going to sugar coat it - there are some very big DoD cutbacks coming and it won't matter if the gov is controlled by Ds or Rs.
If you can stay on AD to 18, you've got sanctuary. If things look dicey before then, make sure you've got actionable plans in place. Make sure that you have open family discussions about this topic - you're going to want your wife/kids' support and understanding.

All the best.

What???? A bullcrap story on the internets?

Our soldiers are overpaid and get generous pensions not available to the private sector. As a result they lack any real incentive to fight and that explains why we have lost wars in Vietnam, Iraq and now Afghanistan.

What these guys need is a reality check, not more pay and free benefits.

Dooshbag!

Latest resources

Back