So much for looking out for the troops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bad math...4.5 years left.
I read it as he was 2.5 years away from being at 18 years which would allow him to finish 20. He still has the reserve option to save his retirement

What???? A bullcrap story on the internets?

Our soldiers are overpaid and get generous pensions not available to the private sector. As a result they lack any real incentive to fight and that explains why we have lost wars in Vietnam, Iraq and now Afghanistan.

What these guys need is a reality check, not more pay and free benefits.

You're too stupid to follow a detailed response so I'll make it short. Those of us that are drawing a military pension are doing so because we survived. We've all got lots of dead friends and colleagues who didn't make it. I doubt you've lost many of your co-workers in a french-fry vat disaster.

By the way, you should read up on the concept of CIVILIAN control of the military. It's your politicians who win and lose the wars.

You're too stupid to follow a detailed response so I'll make it short. Those of us that are drawing a military pension are doing so because we survived. We've all got lots of dead friends and colleagues who didn't make it. I doubt you've lost many of your co-workers in a french-fry vat disaster.

By the way, you should read up on the concept of CIVILIAN control of the military. It's your politicians who win and lose the wars.

Shack. I didn't even think this asshat even warrented a response.

Interesting read Yip.

In the last few months I've had a handful of recently retired Army and recently retired National Guard friends suddenly proclaim the days of staying in the military and retiring are all but over. They say the new plan is to get 4-8 years out of you while you're young, then get you out before you get 'old' and before giving you a pension.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/19/are-military-pensions-too-generous/

It doesn't matter. Obama will be re-elected. I am 99% sure of that. I actually don't like him at all and I'd take Ron Paul but he will never get the nomination.

There is one thing that Democrats and tea party retards can agree on. That is cutting the military.

I expect over the next 5 years our military spending will be cut severely and the people, not crap like automated flying anti missile artillery that is laser guided will be cut.

Did the draconian military cuts go into effect Jan 1 since no debt compromise was reached?

I know several of these guys who are getting the shaft. One of them is a friend of mine who is an F-15E backseater with a zillion Air Medals.

They were not promoted to Lt Col, that is why they are being let go. So, in a way, it is performance based.

BUT, the promotion rate to Lt Col is only 75%. While this is a high number, it also means that 25% of the officers in the Air Force will be terminated without a pension after 13-15 years of service.

The sad thing is that the pilot promotion rate is lower than the support officer promotion rate. Keep in mind that being promoted to Lt Col has nothing to do with deploying or fighting in combat. It has more to do with how many staff jobs you have worked, whether or not you have a masters degree, etc. Since pilots/aircrew are often deployed and busy flying and fighting, they don't always have time to fill all the squares.

Here is the real issue: The airlines will be hiring again once the age 65 rule reaches its end. The main attraction of the military, in the past, has been job security. If you have a 25% chance of being shafted by the Air Force, you might as well give the airlines a shot. It's a crap shoot either way.

Getting rid of these folks after 13-15 years of faithful service to their country is just wrong.

Latest resources

Back