• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So define a Scab...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Geez, all this rhetoric really shows how weak unions are today, and why union membership keeps declining, and will continue to decline.

Who really gives a $hit. If the wrench-turners walk, well they walk. Pilots will still come in and fly their trips and go home. NWA will make arrangements as they see fit.

NWA's first responsibility is to their shareholders, NOT the mechanics. It's amazing how quickly employees loose sight of that fact. ESPECIALLY those covered under a CBA. You GET what you negotiate. Nothing more, nothing less. It's what you get for CHOOSING to be represented by a CBA.

All this $hit about folks picking up flying, etc....and attempting to label them as scabs is utter bull$hit. And only undermines organized labor, as is shows how they are grasping at straws. Really weak folks and weak minds.

The only names that will show up on a scab list (not that anyone really cares) will be the mechanics that cross the picket line to take the job of a striking NWA mechanic. In a decade or two however, that won't even occur as CBA's will be a thing of the past.

It's the way it is...look at the numbers.

You can and WILL be replaced.

Last edited:
ultrarunner said:
NWA's first responsibility is to their shareholders, NOT the mechanics. It's amazing how quickly employees loose sight of that fact. ESPECIALLY those covered under a CBA. You GET what you negotiate. Nothing more, nothing less. It's what you get for CHOOSING to be represented by a CBA.

Give this man the post of the year award. Brutal, honest and right to the point.

Brutal, honest and to the point.

ultrarunner said:
In a decade or two however, that won't even occur as CBA's will be a thing of the past.

I'm not saying I disagree with any of your points.

Just curious as to what you envision in lieu of a CBA.

It's a serious question, I'm new to the whole airline union scene.

I don't know that I envision anything...but the CBA's are going away, that's for sure.

What goes around, comes around....and the economy determines which group holds the other hostage....

Remember not too many years ago...UAL pilot's signed a really good contract....Then Delta goes into contract negotiations...heck, those folks were so cocky they were walking around chanting, and putting sickers on there bags that said, UNITED PLUS 1%, or something to that effect....

crazy $hit....

Anyway, at the time they all got great contracts...good for them...

Now the tables are turned...and all these unionized groups need to suck it up like big boys...

And it doesn't matter what management is giving themselves, increases, retirement deals, etc....they can do that...

So, in closing, if I envision anything, it's this:

Those CBA's that do remain will be far, far less powerful than before. The groundwork is being laid that is going to allow the airlines to operation MUCH cheaper than before...ie maint. in other parts of the world, NO pensions, NO A fund, NO B fund, etc...

It's just gonna be another job. But not one, in years to come that ANYONE will have ANY expectations that they will be there for life...

And then, just maybe...we will quit seeing these freaking sob-stories on 20/20.

And that's all I gots to say about that!

Ultrarunner,

Calm down. The system is in process. Your posts are rhetorical and very anecdotal.

Relax. Trying to define the stituation IAW with your understanding and knowledge isn't fair to yourself. It is also limiting.....

Ebb and Flow; Wax and Wane.

ultrarunner said:
Remember not too many years ago...UAL pilot's signed a really good contract....Then Delta goes into contract negotiations...heck, those folks were so cocky they were walking around chanting, and putting sickers on there bags that said, UNITED PLUS 1%, or something to that effect...

Yeah, I remember that.

And here's what I learned from that (especially after PanAm and Eastern went Tango Uniform): Nothing is forever.

When times are good you need to prepare for the worst because this industry is more cyclical than the friggin' phases of the moon.

Anyone ever do any research on the issues down South with Ansett back a number of years ago??? Anyone ever see who flew there and what not. Interesting UAL pilots were labeled as such, as were AmWest, Interesting.....

Latest resources

Back