• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So define a Scab...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The definition of a scab has been intentionally left fuzzy so that it could be adapted to various situations as they come up.
For example. When UAL struck in 85 ALPA wanted to fill replacement classes with individuals sympathetic to their cause so it was declared that one wasn't a scab until they took their first revenue flight, thereby allowing guys to go to training.

During the EAL strike, for strategic reasons, ALPA changed their definition and proclaimed that a person would be a scab the first day they reported on the property for compensation, meaning first day of training.

With the exception of the EAL strike, most strikes in history haven't had the life or death of the company held in the balance. It is a lot easier to be a sympathy striker for another employee group when your company is relatively healthy and any potential gains garnered by that other group can filter your way. It is a lot harder to be a sympathy striker when it is a nuclear option and your company and your livelyhood are at stake.

NWA could probably withstand the Mech's strike and maybe come out ahead by becoming a primarily contract maint user. But if the pilots and or the FA's walk there most likely won't be anything to come back to. I think that a lot more pilots won't be willing to kill the company over internal maint politics and a lot more pilots outside the company will be sympathetic if the mechs try and kill the company and the pilots say "screw that" and try and keep the company alive. They may get called scabs, but I don't think it will stick. It may not reach that point because I don't think ALPA will officially support the mechs.

I guess Duane Worthless is just going to let NWA go right down the crapper. Oh yeah by the way how much of our ALPA dues go to pay his salary $420,000 and $140,000 in allownces as per a Reders Digest Articale "Brotherhood of Thieves" in June of 04

Dash8301 said:
I guess Duane Worthless is just going to let NWA go right down the crapper. Oh yeah by the way how much of our ALPA dues go to pay his salary $420,000 and $140,000 in allownces as per a Reders Digest Articale "Brotherhood of Thieves" in June of 04

No kidding, you dont need a union at an airline and have to pay union dues if all that your labor group is going to say to management is "yes-sir may I have another"

You NWA pilots are a bunch of hypocrites like no others!

You walk around, talk in here bad mouthing CO scabs, EA scabs, and whoever else. Now this, what a crock. Your whole pilot group is making a decision to do what every EAL sacb did; to cross the MX line.

I think everyone of you should zip you smartass mouths, and never say one friggin thing about what a scab is or is not!

COpilot said:
You NWA pilots are a bunch of hypocrites like no others!

You walk around, talk in here bad mouthing CO scabs, EA scabs, and whoever else. Now this, what a crock. Your whole pilot group is making a decision to do what every EAL sacb did; to cross the MX line.

I think everyone of you should zip you smartass mouths, and never say one friggin thing about what a scab is or is not!

Hey man, Im with you. Im not NWA ALPA. And I think what they are about to let happen is disgraceful. I'm rooting for AMFA and PFAA. Unfortunately, these two groups probably need NWA ALPA. Hopefully, as Jewls would say, they will have a "moment of clarity" and do the right thing for their co-workers.

Reddie said:
Registered Airframe and Powerplant mechanics here and across the country have received job solicitations this summer from Texas-based AVTECHS, recruiting for a "regional airline based in Tennessee, Michigan and Minnesota," said Sam Ellis, president of the local Northwest machinists union here.

"They're offering $32 a hour, plus hotel expenses and a $2,000 signing bonus with 40 hours guaranteed," he said.
I just recieved the postcard yesterday. I have an A&P I got in college (25 years ago). They must be sending them to everyone in the FAA database.

Back when teamsters struck UPS....I forget if their pilots went out, but at that time UPS called in all the contractors to provide lift or something. Our company ferried 3 birds up to SDF.....hit the ramp and when they wanted the flight to go revenue, well the pilots walked off....and our union protected their jobs.
I believe at the time the UPS pilots also asked for their feeders to not fly, which I believe alot of guys didn't fly, but then lost their jobs. Some got 'em back, others were on the street. UPS guys said they'd help them out...don't know what the outcome was. Sorta the same deal here

Latest resources

Back