Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

small people,manual reversion, and discrimination...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
So everytime I sit in my airplane and do the preflight stuff, some of which involves moving some controls around with and then without the benefit of hydraulics, I think to myself "gee, I'm a big guy and I can hardly move these ailerons while we are just sitting here, could I do this at 200 knots, and could some 100 lb jockey-type do this at 200 knots?" We did it in the sim of course, and it took every bit of both arms to move the yoke around enough to make shallow turns, and since everybody knows that sims fly EXACTLY like the real thing, I'm wondering just how likely it is some smaller person could do it if the stuff does hit the fan.

We discussed this in training (just post-sim bs'ing), and the instructor started telling us stories about how people in the past (in general, not specific to any particular company) who have been unable to control the plane in manual reversion and consequently unable to get through training have successfully sued for discrimination and found themselves flying these planes.

Stories, thoughts, or comments?

91 said:
So everytime I sit in my airplane and do the preflight stuff, some of which involves moving some controls around with and then without the benefit of hydraulics, I think to myself "gee, I'm a big guy and I can hardly move these ailerons while we are just sitting here, could I do this at 200 knots, and could some 100 lb jockey-type do this at 200 knots?" We did it in the sim of course, and it took every bit of both arms to move the yoke around enough to make shallow turns, and since everybody knows that sims fly EXACTLY like the real thing, I'm wondering just how likely it is some smaller person could do it if the stuff does hit the fan.

We discussed this in training (just post-sim bs'ing), and the instructor started telling us stories about how people in the past (in general, not specific to any particular company) who have been unable to control the plane in manual reversion and consequently unable to get through training have successfully sued for discrimination and found themselves flying these planes.

Stories, thoughts, or comments?
comments? your isntructor is full of crap. Police and fire departments give physical agility tests all the time, flying isn't any different. Your instructor is telling stories out of school.

Oh? Yeah? I've seen some police and fire women who are obviously not up to physical standards to do the job. Maybe support, but not front line. Yeah, probably the instructor is full 'o crap, but, the "Discrimination" cry has gotten lots of people in "positions" they would never qualify for without the "Discrimination" charge. Safety be **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed.

FN FAL said:
comments? your isntructor is full of crap. Police and fire departments give physical agility tests all the time, flying isn't any different. Your instructor is telling stories out of school.
About 10 years ago the San Antonio FD was sued because women and some men couldn't pass the physical tests, so they lowered the standards for all applicants. Yes, they passed the tests, but they couldn't handle a inch and a half hose.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back