SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jergar999

I am just wondering if it would be better to apply now or wait until I meet the minimums. It looks like I am layoff bound from my current job, and would like to keep feeding my children. Current times are roughly 850 total, 650 multi, 550 turboprop. I don't want to upset the chance of a future interview by bugging them like every other low timer, but if they would consider me I don't want to miss that chance. Any advice?

Dude, bust your tail, get another 150 hours, get to know a couple Skywest pilots that would be willing to attest to your character and skills and then submit an online application.

If you seriously want to be considered, wait unitl you meet the minimums! Do NOT submit anything before you meet the requirements, kinda shows them that you are sort of fliipant towards requirements and such...

Good luck!

Nonsense. Submit your app. (On line) now. The hiring department does not look down on people who apply with out the requisite flight time. You just won't get called until you do. Get the minimums and get recommendations from line captains. Once your times start to get competitive they will check to see how long you've been pursuing the job. Good luck.

I would defintely wait until you meat the mins. Its says right on the app in bold letters "YOU MUST MEET THE REQUIREMENTS".

You started flying multiengine turboprop at 300 hours? With your luck I'd definately fill out the online App. You didn't buy the time, did you? If not, you lead a charmed life bro!!

Don't think you can

I don't think you even have to worry about it, if you fill out the app and don't meet the minimums I don't believe it will let you submit it. That should solve that! =) Seems like an awesome company to work for, bust a.ss and get that other 150hrs, your turbine/multi exper will make your 1000 stand out. Good luck!

Maybe I do lead a charmed life

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't buy my time, I had worked line for several years for a 135 freight company, so when I finished my tickets they gave me an SIC check in a Metro and in return I continued to work for them performing other duties. I did that for about a year and then get hired on by a King Air/Lear operator based on some recommendations. No one probably cares, but I figured it might stop some flaming to know that I haven't paid for time. Having said that, it's really difficult to meet anyone who flies for them, I live in the middle of nowhere. I had a few instructors who fly for them now, but I would feel stupid calling them and saying hey, its been two years, how are you, want to carry a resume in for me? I should also add that I am very grateful to be working in this market, really like the company I work for, and don't intend to leave unless I get laid off. It will probably be another month or so before I know.

Last edited:
Re: Maybe I do lead a charmed life

jergar999 said:
I had a few instructors who fly for them now, but I would feel stupid calling them and saying hey, its been two years, how are you, want to carry a resume in for me?
I wouldn't feel stupid doing that at all; it's simply the nature of the business.

Wait until you get the mins!! Never fear calling or emailing a past Instructor. I just got done Instructing and if a past student called me out of nowhere and asked for a rec I would gladly help. Unless they didn't like you for some reason. As an Instructor I tend to have a little pride in my Past students and helping them take a step up is very rewarding. Remember this buisness is all about who you know!!!!!!! Don't let your apprehension stand in the way of a great job. Best of luck..........

Latest resources

Back