SkyWest Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

><><><

Could anyone who is familiar with SkyWest Brasilia training let me know: typical training duration, schedule while in training, and if there is a break between systems and sim and ioe.

Also, my wife is due in the spring, and we were wondering if SkyWest has any type of paternity leave (so I can be there when my baby is born).

Thanks for any input!

SKywest ground school covers 17 classroom days. You will usually begin on a Wednesday and complete basic indoc the second Friday after that. Systems classes will cover the last 9 classroom days with the final exam being on a Thursday.

The first 10 students will go to FTD in Fresno the following Saturday through Monday and the sim in Long Beach on Wednesday through Sunday following that. Subsequent groups of 10 will follow at 5 day intervals. The time of day you are in the FTD and Sim and whether you are in the first group or not will depend on the bidding process based on the seniority of the senior partner's position in class.

An aircraft checkride will take place SOMEWHERE in the SkyWest system depending on where an aircraft and check airman are available on overnights within a couple of days. IOE will begin ABOUT 4 days after completion of the aircraft checkride and will usually be done within 11 days from start to finish.

SkyWest observes the Family Medical Leave Act which allows for paternity leave (unpaid since you will have not accrued enough, if any, vacation time).

We expect 30 Brasilia newhires in the Nov 5th class. Sim partners form on their own. We give you time to get to know each other a bit and then ask (in seniority order) "So, who's your sim parnter?" The key to selecting a sim partner is compatibility (get along well, same work ethic....). It also doesn't hurt for a person with a 98xx SSAN to link up with a higher seniority sim partner since the FTD and sim periods they get will be based on the better of the two SSANs. For your class, I believe Thanksgiving day will be your travel day and Friday there will be 10 people in the FTD in Fresno.

See you three weeks from TODAY!

[three typos fixed in edit]

Last edited:
Just curious what the training is like at SkyWest (quality). What is the washout typically like over there?

Also, what are the chances of a low seniority guy (high SSN) getting SLC? If the chances are slim to none, what kind of time frame would one be looking at to get back to SLC. With all of the aparent CRJ transitions, is that changing the dynamic of bidding SLC?

Thankks!

For all phases of training, I'm going to estimate a 98% pass in ground school and 95% overall. Chances for getting awarded SLC as a newhire CRJ are excellent (the last CRJ class had 7 of 8 getting SLC and one getting TUS with ALL getting their first choice) but slim in the Brasilia. I would count on about a 3 month wait to get SLC as a Brasilia newhire.

Hi Andy,

I need some real , and I mean REAL advice here. I have been trying to get an interview with Skywest for over a year now. I have a Captain friend write a letter of recommondation. I have attended two open houses (PDX and LAX). I took the exams in PDX, I know I did well on the ATP one, but I missed a few on the MX. (You've heard my story before) I'll cut to the chase. I was told I could retake the small test in six months, that being this month in October. Ms Ence had responded a few times back in April by email and informed me of this. Now I'm just trying to retake it, and I will go anywhere, or do anything to take it. I just want to be in the running for an interview so I can see once and for all if I'm Skywest material. I just can't give up, that of course being a good trait amongst us pilots. So Andy, what are my chances of ever getting to this point? I am currently flying for a 135 in a 414, which is fine, but, I'd rather spend the rest of my life flying for you guys.

Thanks in advance,

A really frustrated Av8ter

Update your online resume at 90 day intervals (no more - no less). That shows continued interest AND builds points as you amass those multi-engine part 135 hours.

You have a SLIGHTLY better chance as a reapply than you do as one who has not tried before, but not much. You will be called for an interview as your resume' comes to the top of the stack point-wise and will take the ATP and Mechanical Aptitude tests again as part of the interview process.

In the meantime, see if you can get a total of three letters of recommendation from SkyWest pilots.

Thanks Andy for the quick response.

I'll do what you suggest. About the 3 letters of recommondation, hmmmmm!!!! I'll have to try harder on that one.

Av8ter

Hi Andy,
Thanks for all your insite really helps! My question is how do they give points for airplanes flown, when the online resume and my resume only have single, multi, ect.
And I have two letters will three help me much more? Passed the written tests and hoping for a call soon! Thanks again.

So let me see if I have this straight: the first people into the FTD will have been at it 26 days straight before a day off? Whew!

Andy, you're a gentleman and a scholar in my book for taking all the time you do to answer our questions. I'm hoping for the chance to do so in person someday--but in the meantime, I'll just say it here: THANK YOU!!! Seriously.

Matt Johnson

Latest resources

Back