• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest to Unionize?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Times are different and so is SkyWest, I think the tide is changing.

That being said, I believe many feel it is not worth ALPO. There is no trust with ALPO, as their primary concern is for the legacy types.

Tine are changing with ALPA too. There has been a concerted look at how regionals affect the brand. Cost savings aren't there like they once were either. The business model is always changing and will keep changing. ALPA hasn't really modified from the Old Way but that seems to be changing. Regionals are an integral part of the model and DO have an impact on the parent company's brand as well as the Legacy pilots jobs.

We can work together and keep jobs at mainline and have more opportunity for better paying equipment or we can keep squabbling over the scarps that fall off that plate. ALPA seems to want to cap this game and attempt to get the genie back in the bottle.

As far as SkyWest goes, I don't want to see a dime of my dues go there unless there is direct evidence of a grassroots move for it. Other than that, best of luck guys!

I don't care either way, if SkyWest unionizes or not. To be honest, I can't see ALPA funding another drive following the two failed drive attempts. However, I do forsee less being done by SkyWest to stop a unionizing effort- JA is seeing it isn't too difficult to deal with a union...............just look at the relationship between ASA ALPA and our management team. Using the threat of unionizing as a form of leverage is no longer going to be an effective method of improving QOL on the SkyWest side.

Since SkyWest and Atlantic SE create the largest regional, I wonder how impossible it would be to hatch a new, refined union that serves the one collective carrier.

We can name it something where the acronym spells out something awesome and menacing...like a NINJA or...something.

Or...Regional Intermediary Carrier Organization. Yes...YES.

RICO. We also need some way to make us look official, like we got all the answers. We need like some name tags with our picture on it, all laminated and what not. I mean, we gotta look legit man.

At first I was opposed to merging lists with ASA, but after realizing how badly a whipsaw could be played out, now I couldn't be more for it. Next union drive wins imo, mainly to stop the "chipping" away.

At first I was opposed to merging lists with ASA, but after realizing how badly a whipsaw could be played out, now I couldn't be more for it. Next union drive wins imo, mainly to stop the "chipping" away.

Even if SkyWest votes in a union, Inc will likely fight a merger of lists. They lose their ability to sell off part of the operation if the modd strikes them.

I think Hootie is right. I would also be in favor of a merger of the lists. I know there are some (very few, though) that hold some strange animosity between the two pilot groups...but in the end, we are all squirrels out to get a nut.

If there was ever a stand-down between the two whip-sawed sides, of course you would do what it takes to feed your family...regardless of your pride. I don't blame SkyWest pilots for fighting in favor of a competitive future (being lower cost) and resisting ALPA. On the other hand, I don't blame Atlantic SE pilots for resisting the idea of dropping a union altogether. DL and ASA management (and generally speaking, not current ASA management) did some pretty wicked stuff to their pilots in the past. And this was when things were "good".

Especially in this cut-throat environment, I would like to believe that management is incapable of continuing precedent. Some would argue that it's happening again at Atlantic SE. Without the union, could it have been worse? Personally, I've been $crewed on both sides. I don't have the answer to that.

Bottom Line: I have friends who work for SkyWest and i've shared the hotel van with SkyWest crew many times...and they're good people. I hope we can become one company someday. Hopefully, this would be good for the company and the pilots.

Last edited:
Bring any other union in and it will succeed, alpa will get laughed of property again. Just keep in mind a lot of pilots at skw once were alpa, union yes, alpa dont even try it. i will however take some free Heidies.
That would make you a hypocrite, those sandwiches were provided to encourage a pilot to listen to the pitch while having a bite to eat. The fact that you would break bread with a man under that pretext speaks volumes, about your personal integrity. While I respect your opinion, I would not break bread with you to discuss anti union details. You and Rez would make a fine couple.
PBR

Alpa has done more harm to this industry than any terrorist group could dream of doing.
JO how ya doin'? NAMBLA still meeting at your house?
PBR

You guys are no different, if not worse than other ALPA regionals. You are working for peanuts to stuff billions in the pockets of those creeps in Utah, no other regional has that much, yet you still buy the koolaide. Everyone knows there that by having a union you can have a truly industry leading contract but people like you are afraid of what would happen if you upset the master.

Calm down bro.

How bad of a contract do they have? Think about the contract you have/had in comparison...

I'm in. Anybody but ALPO.
A combined ASA and SkyWest pilot group could be very powerful. It could be the start of a seperate Regional union, which isvery much needed. ALPO cannot represent both the legacies and the regionals, it's a conflict of intrest.

Where's Rez and his ALPO pom-poms to chime in?

Call the teamsters.... they are really your only hope.... my guess is ALPA is trying to forget Skywest....

Latest resources

Back