Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest showing videos of crippled folks and.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This can be said for almost every airline that has costs associated with belonging to a trade organization. Whether it is the ATA or RAA most airlines use "money" to pay an organization to represent the company and sometimes that is in contradiction to the best interest of the pilots. According to the RAA Annual Report, 32 regional airlines (union and non-union) take the money that was made by their workers and pay dues to the RAA to speak on behalf of the company.
Agreed, however, most of those regionals have their own representation to counter what the RAA says in testimony. The Skywest pilots do not. Therefore Roger Cohen speaks for Skywest pilots.

I think it is important to differentiate between being professional and advancing the profession. You do not need to belong to an autonomous group to be a professional. In many cases you do need to belong to one to have representation and advance the profession.
Valid however, professionalism is putting aside ones own interest and looking out for the good of the public. This includes a pilots personal comfort and gain as well as a few extra dollars that the company wants.

However, when a Skywest pilots makes the professional effort and the company says no we want a few extra dollars, what recourse does the pilot have? Threatened with discipline up to and including termination, the professional wanna be does as he is told. It is a sad state, because the OO pilots have had many chances to obtain professional status for themselves and they have simply chosen to reject.

Recall... professionalism is a choice.

Rez, you are the poster child for everything wrong with ALPA. You are always right. You know better than everyone. Everyone who disagrees with you is ________. [stupid, naive, brainwashed, etc...] I'd guess that you have single handedly turned more SkyWest pilots against ALPA with your FI ramblings than any anti union manager over there. Just like Tim Martins, Rez IS ALPA!

Please stop. You're not doing us any favors. Really.

Rez, you are the poster child for everything wrong with ALPA. You are always right. You know better than everyone. Everyone who disagrees with you is ________. [stupid, naive, brainwashed, etc...] I'd guess that you have single handedly turned more SkyWest pilots against ALPA with your FI ramblings than any anti union manager over there. Just like Tim Martins, Rez IS ALPA!

POTY. Chicken F-ing dinner.

Bob, tell her what she's won.

Agreed, however, most of those regionals have their own representation to counter what the RAA says in testimony. The Skywest pilots do not. Therefore Roger Cohen speaks for Skywest pilots.

I agree with you, because we do not have a voice, the RAA could be interpreted as our voice.

Valid however, professionalism is putting aside ones own interest and looking out for the good of the public. This includes a pilots personal comfort and gain as well as a few extra dollars that the company wants.

However, when a Skywest pilots makes the professional effort and the company says no we want a few extra dollars, what recourse does the pilot have? Threatened with discipline up to and including termination, the professional wanna be does as he is told. It is a sad state, because the OO pilots have had many chances to obtain professional status for themselves and they have simply chosen to reject.

If you have to be a member of a union to obtain professional status then are Doctors professionals? Lawyers? Engineers? Financial Analysts? They must not be because they haven't unionized and "obtained professional status." This thread started because of a well intentioned, but poorly executed, class at SkyWest. This class and the professionalism of our pilot group (which is how well we do our job) have nothing to do with whether or not we want to join a union.

The situation you described with our pilot group having no recourse is absolutely correct, but it has no bearing on our professionalism. If SkyWest cut our pay by 10% (maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas), I wouldn't go out and do 10% less work, or do a 90% good job. I would still be a professional and do the job to the best of my ability (while looking for a job that paid more). Again, I think you are speaking to "advancing the profession" which for some reason that escapes my comprehension, my colleagues have refused to do for decades.

Recall... professionalism is a choice.
Yes it is a choice, a choice in one's own personal conduct while performing duties associated with their profession. It is not a choice in how you get compensated, how long your duty day can be, or what the reserve rules are, or as is the case at SkyWest, not having a choice in any of those things.

Last edited:
Those posting on here who are berating the presentation are the same people who are being marginalized by the majority of pilots with whom you work unless you're on a terminal VLA program like Inthegoo. If you're him then you haven't worked in a long, long time. To those who continue with your negative posts, your desperation is apparent. Your negativity does nothing but push you into an isolated position. Not sure what satisfaction you get out of your unbridled and continuing negativity. Good luck with that, though. You are part of a shrinking minority.

Those posting on here who are berating the presentation are the same people who are being marginalized by the majority of pilots with whom you work unless you're on a terminal VLA program like Inthegoo. If you're him then you haven't worked in a long, long time. To those who continue with your negative posts, your desperation is apparent. Your negativity does nothing but push you into an isolated position. Not sure what satisfaction you get out of your unbridled and continuing negativity. Good luck with that, though. You are part of a shrinking minority.

If the majority turn into tea bags like u that are impressed by this 'presentation', then I'll gladly leave my mainline job behind. I'm sure you'll undercut me out soon enough w/ the joy of being a crewmember on your side. I have enough confidence in myself and respect for those who trained me to prevent me from stating a creed on my day off while fighting back tears like u.

Last edited:
How about this one:

No one is more pathetic than I. I am a copilot - a just barely qualified and grossly underpaid member of the commuter flight crew whose purpose is to make money for the owners of the company.

Since I don't really make any decisions because I'm not the captain, so it just doesn't matter.

I am pissed off all the time. The company tries to manipulate my emotions through lame brainwashing courses and facist-like creed recitation.

I will conduct myself to just well enough not to get fired.

I will not compromise my integrity or safety, unless the company puts pressure on me.

I am not a leader. I am there because the FAA forces the airline to have copilots. I am a copilot.

Last edited:
If the majority turn into tea bags like u that are impressed by this 'presentation', then I'll gladly leave my mainline job behind. I'm sure you'll undercut me out soon enough w/ the joy of being a crewmember on your side. I have enough confidence in myself and respect for those who trained me to prevent me from stating a creed on my day off while fighting back tears like u.

Hahaha well said. Somebody apparently likes to be on their knees.

I agree with you, because we do not have a voice, the RAA could be interpreted as our voice.
Copy and valid.

If you have to be a member of a union to obtain professional status then are Doctors professionals? Lawyers? Engineers? Financial Analysts? They must not be because they haven't unionized and "obtained professional status." This thread started because of a well intentioned, but poorly executed, class at SkyWest. This class and the professionalism of our pilot group (which is how well we do our job) have nothing to do with whether or not we want to join a union.
You are missing a valid point....

As much as Skywest pilots look and act the part of professionals, they have no method to enforce it. Meaning they have no CBA and no ASAP program. OO pilots can talk the talk but they cannot walk the walk. Same with JB and VA pilots.

As the PIC I have been pushed by management to operate my jet counter to my professional instinct. However, I knew that with a CBA and ASAP that I would be protected. My CBA states that the PIC is the unquestioned authority on the aircraft. While the FARs also state that, and OO pilots might feel that is adequate protection... it is... when dealing with the FAA. However, your employment is something else... The FAA might be satisfied that you operated safely, but they do not care if you fly again and the Feds won't protect your paycheck.

In addition, Doctors and Lawyers have Associations to represent them on CapHill.

The situation you described with our pilot group having no recourse is absolutely correct, but it has no bearing on our professionalism. If SkyWest cut our pay by 10% (maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas), I wouldn't go out and do 10% less work, or do a 90% good job. I would still be a professional and do the job to the best of my ability (while looking for a job that paid more). Again, I think you are speaking to "advancing the profession" which for some reason that escapes my comprehension, my colleagues have refused to do for decades.
Again, it has to do with the ability to tell a manager no, who is pushing you as PIC to operate against your desire for safety. In the end, when push comes to shove, Skywest pilots cannot do that.

Yes it is a choice, a choice in one's own personal conduct while performing duties associated with their profession.
Conduct and image is one a part of professionalism, but backing it up with a CBA, ASAP and the ability to influence federal law and policy is where the real professionals operate.

Sorry, but there is an entire world outside of SGU. I've discussed CapHill, but as the industry truely goes global, the ability to represent the profession will be critical. Skywest JB and VA pilots are not Amish. Rather more like Native Americans who must adapt or be sequestered to the reservation.

It is not a choice in how you get compensated, how long your duty day can be, or what the reserve rules are, or as is the case at SkyWest, not having a choice in any of those things.
It can be, if the OO pilot so do want to.

Honest Rez, I have not changed my screen name to Box Office. :D

Latest resources

Back