Skywest Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly4Food

I have some pretty basic questions concerning Skywest and the regional airline pilot lifestyle. Does anybody know what the company policy (or even plausibility) is concerning commuting to work from the midwest (which is obviously not yet served by Skywest). Do they allow regular space available travel with their United/Delta brothers. I am also interested to know what an average month is like for a Skywest FO (length and # of trips). Thanks in advance for any insight you have!

Does anybody know what the company policy (or even plausibility) is concerning commuting to work from the midwest (which is obviously not yet served by Skywest).

You might want to take a look at a Skywest route map before you have an interview

IFly,

Looks like you'll probably be in the Rj with your experience, so I don't really know what to expect there, except reserve for a longer time than if you get the emb. Most newhire rj dudes are going to slc as people are transfering to DEN, PSP, and SBA like crazy. We have no formal commuting policy here, working on it though, but most people who commute don't have too much problems getting to SLC. Schedules for reserve are 20 duty days per month, so you'll get 10-11 days off depending on the month. I personally broke reserve guarantee on the emb, but not sure about the guys on the rj. Lots of new shiny jets coming though, so if you get on soon, it's not going to be too long to getting a hard line. If you have the choice though, for quality of life while commuting, request an emb class, pay is the same the first year, and you'll get off reserve very quickly which means a much better schedule.
Hope I answered a few of your questions. PM me if you have any others.
later,
Mookie

Unlimited United write your own passes (free) and ID 100 (free) passes on Delta. Not sure what the policy is on other Express/ Connection carriers. I think you have to be employed at SyWest at least 90 days for the passes.

In addition to Delta and United we have service charge passes on other carriers such as Southwest, Alaska, Jet Blue, and a few more that run about $25-30 a leg.

Salt Lake or Denver would be the easiest commute as you may be able to do it in one leg. All ot the California bases would be a minimum two leg commute from the midwest. Like Mookie said, take the EMB if you have a choice. Should be pretty easy to get SLC or DEN initially, if not in a month or two.

As far as the schedule, in the jet 4 day trips are the norm, with 3 days off. Brasilia schedules have a little more variety. We have a lot of commuters so finding a crash pad to share shouldn't be a problem.

Latest resources

Back