Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

Hi!

I had read of rumours of Boeing personnel at SkyWest HQ, and that SW was looking at the 717 and 737.

A SkyWest employee said that SkyWest mgmt said in writing that they were considering buying the Boeings. The employee said SkyWest had a ton of cash, and if UAL went under, they were looking at stepping in on some of UAL's ex-routes.

Cliff
GRB

That sounds logical, but what if United doesn't go Chap 7? If they try to compete anywhere near Delta, they will get the 6 month termination letter from Delta, and I am sure United would do the same. So then what? It does sound good, though.

Bye Bye--General Lee:)

General, it would appear on the surface that if Delta were to terminate Skywests contract it would seriously impact Delta's ability to compete in todays market not to mention that Comair, ASA could come nowhere near filling the void for several years that Skywest would leave. What's your take on this??

WD.

Hey Wiskey,

Very good point, however dont waist your time with General. Alot pf people here are starting to overlook his statements since they are always the same.

That would actually be great for Skywest to drop Delta, you are 110% correct on your statement, they would drown.:cool:

If Delta does drop SkyWest, SkyWest’s name recognition is good enough to continue to feed SLC at-risk. I think.

However, don’t underestimate to power of fee-for-departure. Even at lower margins it is still a very powerful business plan to SkyWest’s BODs. It would very hard for SkyWest’s BODs to kiss-off this risk free rate-of-return.

Splert

What? Nobody listens to me , right? Wrong---I get plenty of responses because I am right---and it scares you. Don't cry now.

Skywest and their routes could easily be taken within a six month termination notice. Six months is plenty of time to redirect ASA or Comair RJ's through SLC. Some of the other routes flown by E120's could be taken by Mesa DHC-8's---they know how to fly in the mountains---they fly into Aspen. I am sure they would do it for less, too. Hey, I like the Skywest product, but I wouldn't get cocky when you don't hold any of the cards. As far as Skywest going it alone---the feed to Orlando and Honolulu would cease to exist, and the loads would diminish. Yes, I am sure you could get connecting passengers that connect from Bozeman to SLC, and on to Ceder City. And, if Delta got desperate enough to fill some seats, they could get their own planes that used to fly the routes that you fly now. They used to fly 737-200's all over the West-----to all of the cities your RJ's fly now. I am sure they wouldn't abandon any routes for long---and then ASA/Comair RJ's would come to the rescue. Yeah, but I am wrong.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: :p :p :p ;)

General, I tend to think that it sounds much much easier that it really is and while I do believe that ASA and Comair would have to come in the fact still remains the lack of availble a/c. My thought is that the loss of Skywest would seriously hurt Delta at this point in the game because the other two Delta carriers don't have enough a/c to cover the routes they now serve and take over the SLC flying. You mentioned Mesa doing the SLC routes and while that is an option, Mesa would have to dump many of the markets it serves for AWA due to the conflict it would create thus further straining an already unstable relationship.

Now here is something you should really think about. USAIR is trying to sell a reservation system, if it were me I would buy it get the heads of Skywest, Air Wisconsin and ACA together form and alliance between all three to pick up all of the domestic flying of UAL in the event that they don't make it. Rekindle the shuttle on the west coast to compete with SWA with three to four RJ departures to their one and do the same between JFK, BOS and PHL on the east coast. All of the other markets are already served by the express carriers anyway and the need for an a/c past an RJ 90 is really unecessary because all of the feed is done internally. But hey what do I know, I'm just a dumb pilot who thinks he may know and understand the game...

WD.

One problem at SLC for DAL is that Skywest owns it's own gates. I guess ASA/Comair could take over some DAL gates and operate out of them.

I would think that DCI could bring in Mesa fairly quickly to replace Skywest, ASA and Comair, they operate cheaper than all of us, and their management is pretty aggressive in trying to expand at the expense of the higher cost (i.e. higher paid) regional operators.

ASA's ability to expand is limited right now by our inability to take delivery of enough aircraft. The shift in production of the CR7 to a new facility will cause a several months delay in the delivery schedule. ASA may extend that delay until GE finds a fix for the CF34-8C1 (they are replacing 12 of our engins due to the loss of turbine blades, and GE has determined that the problem is a result of a design defect in the fuel nozzles, so this will effect all CR7 operators). Our President has said that we would take all of the RJ's we could get, we just can't get them fast enough. We are interviewing again, to build up the pool for something.

I know that ASA management is in a big hurry to complete our contract this year. They have hinted that something BIG is the works, but that it can't happen until the contract is complete. That something could be an expansion to the West, a new larger aircraft type (that came from our President too, so put your flames away), or it could just be BS to get us to finish the contract quickly and take less due to the current state of the airline industry (only to find that there is nothing BIG taking place).

I think that Skywest could quickly take a larger aircraft (there are 27 B-717's parked in the desert right now, probably a lot of B-737's as well), provide their own feed (they already have a network in place), and compete quite effectively with DAL and U in the West. I think that DAL could easily cover the Skywest flying out of SLC in less than six months time with ASA and Comair, or Chit and Mesa, or a combination of all four. Yes, this could all happen.

I think the General has a valid point. If the incentive is right, an airline can redirect and/or create a new market pretty quickly. Ask any senior Blue Ridger....Westair became ACA in what, 11 days back then? When MGT wants something to happen, they can make it happen.

Lack of available aircraft ?

The desert is LOADED with them and leasing companies would give the cheapest of rates.

Right now would be an excellent time to make such a move if UAL went under. Regionals could afford those larger A/C at VERY cheap rates.

Latest resources

Back